Chapter 16: Resurface

"I love having the guys directing the musical," Bree said as she applied lip gloss. We were getting ready for our first table read-- finally!-- the Thursday after the first boot camp.

"They're pretty awesome," I agreed. "And talented."

"Who cares about that?" said Bree with a laugh. "The three of them are smoking hot. That Puckerman is--"

"Okay, eww," I stopped her. "He's dating Quinn first of all, and also, Kitty dated him already. Like she dated Jake? History repeating itself, no."

"You think Kitty will care if I date another ex of hers?" she asked, to which I nodded. "As if that mattered. What harm's a little bang for your Puck?" She snickered. "Besides, even if he's for whatever reason off limits, there's still Mike and his sexy, dancing abs. Oh, and you can't forget about Finn Hudson, ugh!"

"Please stop!" I groaned. "You're talking about the guys who mentored us last year. I mean, they're old and they're kind of like big brothers so you're really disgusting!"

"Amity is the same age apart from Sam as you are from Finn," Bree pointed out. "Don't you think it grosses her out that you dated him?" Before I could respond she added, "And let's not forget that you have an actual brother, Cory. And how old was he? Oh, that's right. The same age as your precious little Sam!"

"Ok, enough!" I said, feeling like I might throw up my lunch from earlier. "Let's just head to the choir room already okay."

We chuckled as we left the restroom and she smacked my butt with a loud, "Whoo!" Bree had been urging me to have fun, while also pushing me in Sam's direction. Meanwhile, Ryder seemed to be getting chummier and chummier with that Katie girl. 

***

"Okay," said Finn. "Where were we?"

"Sugar," sighed Mike. We had to stop almost every five lines because there were all sorts of questions interrupting the script reading.

"Oh, right," said Finn. "Okay, let's take it from there again. Remember guys, you just walked into Maybelle's party. Black kids and white kids are mixing. And we have Julie and Sugar on the other side of the wall. And... Action..."

Sugar: Now don't worry, Mommy will take care of everything...

"And here the music will start for Big, Blonde, and Beautiful," Mike murmured. "Sugar looks through her closet for a dress as Unique gets ready. And then Maybelle enters." We were skipping through the singing because it would take too long to get through the script if we went through the numbers. Besides, not all of the arrangements were finished, not even close, so we'd be focusing on music and choreography later.

Unique: Are you all hungry for some good fun?

"And she sings as Tracy and Link enter," Mike went on. "Okay, she's singing, Link and Tracy are loving it... She sees them and..."

Unique: Well... Looks like y'all took a step out of bounds... Now who do we got here?
Jake: Mom, I want you to meet my new friends. This here is Link. Tracy Turnblad.
Kitty: This is just so Afro-tastic!

We laughed at that line, as Kitty said it perfectly.

Jake: And this young lady right here... Is Penny Pingleton...
Marley: I'm very pleased and scared to be here.
Unique: Oh, now, honey. We got more reason to be scared on your street.

Unique mumbled some stuff about a record as Jake looked up at Marley.

Jake: Shall we dance?

Marley looked uncomfortable.