Chapter 30: The Creative Process

"Okay, look," said Alex, a smirk on his face. "We've already recorded the song. It sounds great. It's done. We have the rest of the week to record and edit the video. It might just help us if you stop stalling."

"I'm not stalling!" Julie exclaimed. "I really do have to go now."

"Oh yeah?" asked Alex. "Where?"

"I'm meeting Jake and Ryder at the school," she said. "They've asked me to be in their video and I accepted."

"You did what?" he exclaimed. "Why? Please tell me it's so that you can sabotage!"

"No," she said. "They asked for help and I am going to give it because they're my friends and it could be fun."

"Or because you're screwing Jake," said Alex, shrugging.

"Okay, you need to leave now," she said, standing up and pulling him off the couch. She pushed him towards the front door. 

She turned to him as she opened the door and he shrugged, "I'll see you tomorrow when you're not PMSing." She scoffed as he walked through the door and she looked out just in time to see that her mother had reappeared. She tried to close the door or call out to Alex before he left but she just stood there, stunned.

***

"Where is she?" asked Ryder, looking at his phone to check the time. "You gave her the right time, right?"

"Of course I did," Jake responded. "I'm sure she has a perfectly reasonable--"

The door burst open and an obviously upset Julie walked through. "Hi..." said Ryder, afraid she might erupt.

Julie didn't say anything. She just took of her jacket, tossing it aside and revealing a tracksuit underneath as she rolled up her sleeves. She looked up at them. "So are we doing this, or what?"

"Actually, we wanted to tell you about a new idea we had," said Jake. "And we just wanted to make sure you were comfortable with it."

"It involves a kiss..." said Ryder. "With me."

Julie seemed to have no reaction to this. "Yeah," she said. "Yeah, sure."

"Great!" Jake exclaimed with satisfaction. "Okay, so we'll do your part with me and then after we'll do the part with you watching yourself. And then your part with Ryder."

"Sounds great..." Julie mumbled. She set up on the chair and Jake joined her on the other seat. Their concept was pottery, just like in Ghost, and Ryder was going to be behind the camera for the first shoot. He watched from the camera's screen as the music began and Jake began singing to Julie, touching her hands as they spun the wheel. Something seemed... off. Julie looked really deep in thought. It was working for the video-- it worked perfectly-- but it didn't seem like she was purposefully looking so upset.

When they had filmed enough, they shifted positions for Julie's moment as she watched herself, upset. When that was over, Jake clapped. "You're doing a fantastic job, Julie," he said. "Great acting. If you'd just give us a sec."

Jake pulled Ryder to the side. "You notice it, too?" asked Ryder.

"Yeah, something's off," Jake whispered in reply. "I don't really think we should bring it up."

"But what if--" Ryder started.

"Ryder, she'll talk about it when she's ready," he said. Ryder sighed and nodded, agreeing not to mention it. They continued filming their video.

***

"So I couldn't help but notice you and Jake seem chummy again..." Unique said suddenly as she and Marley edited their video in the computer lab. They were way ahead of schedule and expected to be done before the week ended.