Chapter 66: Getting Involved

"I feel really bad," said Julie, pacing in her bedroom as Ryder lied on her bed. "I mean, no one deserves a great night out as much as Unique."

"You do," he responded, flipping through one of her sketch journals. "Terrible artist or not, you really could use a perfect night with your friends."

Julie shook her head, looking back at Ryder and saying, "Those drawings are from when I was a kid."

"You still draw like this," he pointed out, grinning.

She rolled her eyes and told him, "I just wish we could help Unique somehow. What they're doing to her is terrible."

"Or maybe it's what she gets for butting into everyone's business all the time," Ryder shrugged.

She turned to him and asked, "What do you mean?"

"The way she gets involved in everyone's personal matters," he answered. "Like with Alex and Amity, she was way out of line and is still constantly trying to break what they have. And then there's the fact that Jake and Marley were going to be friends but any time they try to talk she gets in the way. I'm sure they would've gotten back together by now if not for Unique."

"Doubt it..." Julie mumbled. She looked up at Ryder and, noting the way he was looking at her, added, "She doesn't seem interested anymore... Anyway, uh, that's besides the point."

"And what exactly is your point?" he asked. 

"We need to do something to help Unique," she responded.

"I know a great place for tuxedo rentals," he suggested. She grabbed a pillow and threw it at him as he chuckled.

"Ryder, this isn't funny!" she exclaimed. "We have to do something."

Ryder sighed. "Normally I'd warn you to leave this one alone," he said, "but considering this is the first time I've seen you care about anything in a while, I think--"

"What's that supposed to mean?" she stopped him, her brow creased. "You think I don't care?" He shrugged so she told him, "There's plenty I still care about, Ryder. I care about my dad and Cory. I care about you..."

He forced a smile. "It just seems like nothing matters anymore..." he confessed. "And that really worries me."

She looked back at him for a moment and said, "It's not that... It's just that my energy is really low... Well, my dad, uh... he texted earlier and said he'd picked up my prescription so I'll be back to normal soon."

"Julie..." Ryder began. "Today you risked possibly getting kicked out of the Cheerios and--"

"I should rest, though," she said, walking towards the door and opening it. "I'll see you at school tomorrow."

He nodded, getting up and heading out, but not before turning to give her one last look of concern. "See you at school then?"

She nodded and, after giving her a kiss, he finally headed out.

***

"Hello Puckerman..." Kitty grinned as she appeared at Jake's door. "We need to talk."

"Kitty..." Jake mumbled, confused. He looked back inside his house and said, "Not here." Closing the door behind him, he led Kitty to her car, where the two sat inside in awkward silence.

"Didn't think we'd ever be alone in here again," she said smugly.

"What's this about Kitty?" he asked.

"There's something that's been bothering me for a while," she began. "You have like, the world's worst anger issues and you've been known to fight off anyone who poses a threat to what you want. Kind of like me. But see, today when I saw Marley hitting on my man I realized something--"