Chapter 15: War for a Role

As was tradition, the rest of us went to the auditorium and took our seats to watch the performance. And boy, was it a good show.

First, they got the friendly remainder.

"Born to Hand Jive almost broke out into a fight," Mike said, giving Ryder a look.

"And High School Musical ended with a fight," said Finn as he walked in.

"Finn!" exclaimed pretty much everyone except Alex and Shana.

"Guess who's directing this show?" he asked. We chattered excitedly.

After that, the point of the assignment.

"Show us your dance moves," said Mike. "We know you all can sing but we want to see the theatricality that you can put into your moves. So show us 60s. And show us Link and Motormouth Maybelle."

"So we aren't going to sing for this?" asked a worried Unique. That was her advantage.

"Nope," said Puck. "I'm singing the song. You guys are dancing to it."

"Projected behind you will be the scene in the 2007 movie," said Mike. "Look back if you need guidance. Otherwise, please the crowd. Ready Puck?"

"To be the Ladies' Choice?" he asked. "Born ready." Finn and Mike smiled at him as Finn headed down to join us and Mike got ready to dance with them. The music began and Puck started singing.

Puck: Hey little girl with the cash to burn. Well, I'm selling something you won't return.

Immediately, Mike started dancing and Ryder joined in. Shana didn't wait too long before joining but the others took a little longer to get a sense of the moves.

Puck: Hey little girl, take me off the shelf. 'Cause it's hard having fun playing with yourself.

Bree joined in and did a much better job up there than Shana was doing.

"Someone should remind Bree she's auditioning for Maybelle," Kitty said, "she's not supposed to move around like a skinny little girl."

Puck started the chorus when everybody else finally joined in. They kept on dancing and when Puck was singing, "Hey little girl on a spending spree. I don't come cheap but the kisses come free." Ryder ran into Shana. She smiled at him but he just got right back to the dancing.

They were doing fine after that, especially Bree and John, who looked great up there. I think Bree realized this because she grabbed him during the instrumental break and danced with him.

Jake stood up and said, "Let's go dance on stage with them." Not everybody agreed, so he dragged me along with him and Kitty and Sugar came, too. We made it on stage before the break could end. And saw as Bree and John dominated the stage.

We danced behind them, copying the choreography. Puck seemed to really be enjoying himself and he sounded great. When the song was about to end, Shana pulled Unique to her and started dancing with her. This caught Unique off-guard so she stopped for a second. But then the song was over so not very many people seemed to notice.

"That was awesome!" said everyone as Kitty and I smiled at each other. Bree had done an awesome job and we were happy for her. Hopefully, the results would be good.

***

The following morning, we woke up early again but evidently not early enough. Everyone got to the bulletin board early, too early for there to even be a list posted. But then, before we knew it, Mr. Schue and Puck were there with a list in hand.

Mr. Schue held out the list and a few hands reached for it but he pulled it away. He slowly pinned it to the bulletin board and turned around. Then he and Puck moved away. We all stood still for two seconds and then everyone rushed to the list. But it was Sugar who made it there first and ripped it off. We all watched as she read through it and then looked up happily.