EPILOGUE

The entire population of afterlife who had gone to a place like an empty Hogwarts was celebrating Voldemort's defeat.

"My son defeated Voldemort!" shouted James.

"My godson defeated Voldemort!" yelled Sirius.

"My favorite student defeated Voldemort," said Remus, because he couldn't let Sirius and James take all the credit.

Lily and Marlene stood beside them, laughing.

"So Dumbledore's plan worked, after all," said someone from behind them.

Remus whirled around, blood pounding in his ears. "You," he growled. "How dare you show yourself here?" He took out his wand and started to raise it on Snape, even though he had an inkling that it would not work here.

Sirius glanced at Lily, who opened her mouth to say something.

But it wasn't Lily who spoke first.

"You don't know the entire story, Remus. Severus was trying to protect Harry all along," said James.

Sirius wanted to laugh at Remus' expression, on hearing James call Snape 'Severus' and actually defend him.

James told Remus how brave Snape had been, and all that he had done, with Sirius throwing in a few details.

"Well," said Remus awkwardly to Snape. "I guess I owe you an apology."

"That's all right, Lupin."

Remus walked away, trying to realize the new story he had heard.

--------------------

He did not notice how far he had gone when he heard a voice in his ear. "I know I don't deserve it, Remus, but could you guys give me a second chance?"

It was Peter. Remus stared at him, wondering how he could ever ask for another chance.

"Why are you asking me?" he said at last. "You betrayed James and framed Sirius."

"Because I know you'll be able to persuade them, Remus," said Peter. "And I also know that you were affected greatest by the breaking down of the Marauders."

Remus stared at the Hogwarts grounds.

James and Snape were actually sharing a joke, and Lily was leaning against a tree and watching them, looking extremely content.

In another part of the grounds, two similar looking men were walking together, deep in conversation, and both of them had a smile on his face. Sirius and Regulus had finally put aside their differences.

Remus turned and saw Peter's hopeful face, and in spite of himself, smiled.

Maybe it was a good day for forgiveness all around.

--------------------

It was May's full moon.

Wormtail pressed the knot of the Whomping Willow. Padfoot and Prongs fetched Moony from the Shrieking Shack.

Then Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs set off to re-explore the grounds of Hogwarts-the innumerable memorable places, the nostalgia-filled corners-after 20 years.

The Marauders were back.