CAREER ADVICE

With less than two weeks left for the OWLs, there was frantic studying going on among the fifth years.

Remus was observing the common room one day after finishing revising History of Magic. Lily was bent low over her Transfiguration book; it was the only subject she was weak at. Marlene and Alice were quizzing each other. Mary was frantically muttering incantations, pointing her wand at a pen.

James and Sirius were playing Wizards' Chess, and Peter was watching the game intently. Remus was at a loss trying to make them understand the seriousness of their OWLs.

Once or twice every day, Peter would whine, "Guys, we should do some studying now." And James and Sirius would look at him as if no decent person on the planet could ever dream of studying. Then Peter would give up.

Remus reckoned James and Sirius would fly through the exams safely. He wasn't so sure about Peter.

Then, one day, a notice was put up on the notice board.

"CAREERS ADVICE

All fifth years are required to attend a short meeting with their Head of House on 20th May to discuss their future careers. Times of individual appointments are listed below."

"I want to be an Auror," said James.

"You'll make a wonderful one," said Peter, at once.

"What d'you want to be, Padfoot?"

"Nothing with magic in it." Sirius grinned. He was currently going through an obsession over Muggle motorbikes. He had postered every inch of wall in their dorm with boring and unmoving pictures of motorbikes, greatly annoying his friends.

"I want to be a Healer," said Peter eagerly.

"Um...no offense, Wormtail, but—" began James.

"You need top grade in Potions for that," finished Sirius.

Peter's face fell. "Not for me then, I guess."

--------------------

Lily came back from patrolling late one night, and flung herself down on an armchair to look through the Career brochures. She didn't see the other occupant of the room.

"Fancy seeing you here," said James.

"Potter! What are you doing here?"

"Same as you. Reading."

"You—reading!"

"Why, can't I?"

"All right, you can. Now shut up and let me study."

There was a silence for some time.

"What're you reading?" suddenly asked Lily, suspiciously, catching a glimpse of the cover.

"Advanced Charms," read out James.

"What for? We have got our OWLs in ten days!"

"I desired to read it," said James defensively.

"Ok..."

They lapsed back into silence again. James looked up and saw that Lily looked not only tired, but also rather miserable. He hesitated. Lily would most likely yell at him. But she looked so downcast that he could help it.

"Anything bothering you, Evans?"

Lily looked up. "What? Of course not," she said shortly.

Snubbed, James fell silent again.