A BEST MAN'S SPEECH

Lily and James' wedding was took place in late July. As in Frank and Alice's wedding, the Order provided strict security.

An elderly wizard Marcus Cribble carried out the solemn proceedings. Lily tried to look patient and interested and kept shooting annoyed glances at her soon-to-be husband, who, apart from looking incredibly bored, actually yawned out loud when Cribble was saying something about lifelong sacred bond, etc, etc.

"Do you, James Harold Potter, accept Lily Evans as your wife?"

"Yeah, sure!" said James cheerfully.

"James," said Lily through gritted teeth. "You are supposed to say 'I do'."

"Oh," said James, looking worried. "Could you ask the question again?" he requested Cribble, who looked scandalized. Sirius grinned and gave James a thumbs-up. Remus shook his head and smiled sympathetically at Lily.

When the ceremonial stuff was over and the floor was cleared for the dance, James and Lily walked into the centre first.

"The best man and bridesmaid are supposed to go next," hissed Remus to Sirius, whose grin faded slightly as he glanced awkwardly at Marlene.

It soon became apparent that James couldn't dance, not a bit, not even when Lily was leading. It was a relief when they sat down again.

The food was starting to be served and laughter and chatter filled the large hall. Professor McGonagall came over to congratulate her favorite students. Dumbledore followed soon after.

As the well wishers came and went, James and Lily sat with Sirius, Remus, Peter, Alice and Marlene.

"You are supposed to give a speech now, Sirius," said Lily grimly.

"What? I can't!"

Lily turned to James. "I told you Remus would have made a lot better best man."

Sirius stood up, looking dignified. "You watch, Evans, I'll give the best speech you've ever heard."

Lily looked unimpressed. Sirius banged his glass on the table so loudly that everyone looked around.

"Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the wedding ceremony of Marauder, former Head Boy and Quidditch captain James Potter with former Head Girl and Prefect and beautiful lady Lily Evans!"

James, Remus and Peter started to laugh silently.

"Everyone who studied at Hogwarts during our time knew James and Lily. They also knew how James asked Lily out every month, and how Lily turned him down each time, with a more withering retort than last time. Of course, I still say it was Lily's loss, but James did make himself pretty annoying at times. But he was persistent. More persistent than most of us can dream to be in a lifetime. So finally Lily was so tired of saying no that she said yes-" James and Lily both glared at the speaker, who continued cheerfully, "-and look, the result is in front of us." He waved his hand at the couple.

The crowd cheered.

"And the moral of the story is 'Persistence always pays off' or something like that. And I do trust, James, seeing that I am your best friend and gave such a beautiful speech, that you will name your first child after me?" Sirius turned to look at James, and sighed at the look on his face.

"Second child, then," he conceded. "So enjoy yourselves everyone, and stuff like that. Thank you."

Sirius sat down to much general cheering and clapping.

"I defeated both the husband and the wife. James, as you can see, the public loves me more than you. Lily, you saw what a wonderful speech I gave."

"You were right, Lily," said James, turning to his wife. "Remus would have been better."