THE LONE MARAUDER

Remus entered Dumbledore's office, wondering why the Headmaster had called him.

"Remus, I regret that I have to inform you—"

Remus' heart stood still. It had something to do with Sirius or Peter.

"—that Voldemort killed James and Lily last night."

"What?" said Remus blankly. "Weren't they protected by the Fidelius Charm?"

Dumbledore stared at him, looking apologetic.

"No," whispered Remus. "Not Sirius."

"We all made a mistake in reading his character, Remus. Maybe blood distinguishes itself always, after all."

Remus sank down on a chair; his knees suddenly felt weak.

"James and Lily—" He buried in his face his hands. "And Sirius betrayed them?"

Dumbledore nodded gravely. "And—well, Peter tracked him down yesterday night, and Sirius blasted the entire street. He killed twelve Muggles."

"What about Peter?" Remus forced himself to ask.

"He couldn't survive. His finger was the largest bit we got."

"No." Remus' eyes overflowed with tears. In one single night, in a matter of few hours, he had lost the four people he had held dearest to his heart—and what stung most was Sirius' betrayal.

Remus knew Sirius had suspected him—or pretended to—but Remus had always felt completely sure that Sirius wasn't the spy.

"Sirius wouldn't betray James, Professor," he said.

"None of us ever thought he would." Dumbledore went on to tell him that Voldemort was gone, the war was over, and that Harry had survived, but those were not of any interest to Remus.

All he could think about was how he was the only Marauder left, and if it had to happen, why couldn't the spy be anyone but Sirius—the person who had become Animagus for him, who had first used a killing curse for him, who hexed anyone who dared to hurt his friends—the man who had been desperate to prove that he was not like his family, who was so fiercely loyal, reckless but good hearted— why did it have to be Sirius?