BARTEMIUS CROUCH

James had bought a copy of the book 'Advanced Charms' back with him. When they weren't playing one on one Quidditch or teasing Jinny, James and Sirius studied the book, and practiced the difficult spells.

But though the two of them had an enjoyable holiday, they couldn't shut their ears to what was happening in the world outside. Voldemort was now openly announcing himself as a blood purist. Muggles and Muggleborns were disappearing at an alarming rate. Anyone who dared to oppose him lived in constant dread of coming home one night and finding the Dark Mark hovering over his house.

Harold Potter was scarcely at home these days. The Order of the Phoenix was badly outnumbered by the Death Eaters, and the few members had to work extremely hard to oppose the Dark Lord.

"I wish I was seventeen already," said James fiercely one day at lunch. That day's newspaper had revealed how Fenrir Greyback, who was working for the Dark Lord, had savaged a Muggle hospital where women gave birth. "Do you think they'll let us join now, mum?"

His mother looked weary and tired. "Of course not, James. You're not even sixteen."

"But we'll join next year anyhow," said Sirius determinedly.

"They asked your father to join. The Death Eaters," said Mrs. Potter.

"What?"

"Yes. They offer that to all well-known pureblood families...and ours goes way back into the mid-sixteenth century."

"Didn't dad kill them off?"

"Don't speak like that, James. The Order of the Phoenix doesn't kill. It only captures."

"But—the Death Eaters kill everyone! How can anyone fight them if they aren't willing to kill?" said Sirius.

Mrs. Potter smiled a little. "That, indeed, is Bartemius Crouch's view. He is the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. He has been nearly as ruthless as Voldemort's army. He has many supporters...people who think like you, Sirius. But that's not right, my dear. If we become as mindless as them, how can we claim that we're the right side?"

Sirius silently thought about it.

"Yes, you're right, Mrs. Potter," he said, realizing the truth in her words.

"Crouch's aiming to be the Minister of Magic. He'll get it, too," said Mrs. Potter.

"Crouch sounds like a useful person to have on our side, mum."

"Useful, maybe...but I still think a time will come when we'll regret that we let him get so much power."

In saying that, Anne Potter never realized how true a prophecy she had made.

--------------------

"OWL results will be coming any day now," declared Mrs. Potter, as the end of the holidays came nearer. "How will you two do, do you think?"

"I think we'll get nine owls each," said Sirius, grinning.

Sirius turned out to be correct. When the results came, both of them had identical marksheets.

Astronomy :O

Charms :O

Defense against Dark Arts :O

Divination :O

Herbology :O

History of Magic :O

Muggle Studies :O

Potions :O

Transfiguration :O

"O stands for Outstanding, mum, look!" said James, waving his paper in his mother's face.

Mrs. Potter hugged both of them proudly.

"Remus'll be surprised. He swore we'd fail in History of Magic," said Sirius, grinning.

"I wonder how we did manage?" asked James, also grinning.

Remus' letter arrived two days later, asking how they had done, and with a tiny mention in the end that he had got nine Outstandings, too.

Pete had got five OWLs, none of them Outstanding.

"Can't wait to see both of them," said James, and Sirius agreed.