ANIMAGUS PREPARATIONS

"Your parents are wonderful," said Sirius, Remus and Peter to James, when they were sitting in the common room after dinner.

"Yes, they are," said James, his face glowing with pride.

"I have got my family event to look forward to now," said Sirius drily.

"You'll get through it. How bad can it be?" said Remus comfortingly.

"Yeah, sure. Let's steal the potion making stuff soon," said Sirius.

They planned it on the first day that classes began after the holidays.

"We need a diversion," said Peter.

"You got it, Peter. You'll set off a Dungbomb when I signal to you," said James. "Then we—me, Sirius and Remus—will sneak out with the stuff."

"And you'll set off another to cover our return," said Remus.

It all went as planned. Remus, Sirius, and James hid the stolen goods in a cupboard beside the room, and came back.

A chaos was ensuing in the room. Professor Slughorn was trying to find the source of the Dungbomb.

"Where did you go?" hissed a voice in James' ear. He turned and saw Snape glaring at him.

"Honestly, does it concern you, Snivellus Snape?" asked James.

"Oy, Evans! Take your nosey friend away!" called Sirius across the room to Lily.

Of course Lily did not call Snape back. It might have been because she wouldn't ever listen to what Sirius said, but it might also because her friendship with Snape was falling apart, thought James hopefully. They were spending a lot lesser time together than they used to in the 1st year.

On the way to the Great Hall that night, Snape made the mistake of hexing James in front of Remus and Sirius. Sirius promptly hexed him back with such a powerful curse that he had to be taken away to the Hospital Wing.