SOME THINGS THAT NEVER CHANGE

The forest was dark and gloomy. Little light filtered through the tall trees. James ran heedlessly, not bothering about sense of direction or anything; there was only one conscious thought in his mind—to find Sirius and make sure that he was safe. Then suddenly he stopped.

Sirius was sprawled on the ground.

"Sirius?" whispered James, kneeling beside him. Sirius did not move.

"Padfoot!" cried James, feeling his best friend's chest. He could detect no heartbeat. "Oh, God—Sirius—Sirius, wake up..."

James' heart was pounding furiously. Sirius was all right—he had to be—he had to be...

"No—no," gasped James, shaking all over.

He suddenly thought of how he had neglected Sirius for Lily in the last year. Was this some sort of horrible punishment? James' eyes blurred.

"James?"

James looked up shrarply. Maybe he was derilious, but he thought he distinctly heard Sirius' voice from other side of the clump of trees.

"James..." Sirius' voice was hoarse.

James got up and rounded around the trees. He saw his best friend kneeling on the ground, just like he had been doing moments ago.

James advanced and saw that Sirius bending over his dead body.

"Padfoot—what—" began James. Sirius looked up and his eyes widened in shock.

"Is it really you?" whispered Sirius raggedly.

James moved towards the body, his brows furrowed in confusion, and suddenly it changed shape and became Sirius' body.

At the same moment, it stuck both of them—Boggart Swamp. That was what the place was called.

Gray eyes met the hazel for a moment.

Then the Boggart vanished suddenly.

"Potter and Balck..." said the familiar high, cold voice.

"You here again?" asked James in disgust, turning to face Voldemort.

As Sirius stood up, he thought he saw Voldemort flicking his wand. Sirius began to feel carefree and peaceful like he had felt when Mad-Eye Moody had tried the Imperius curse on him.

"Raise your wand," said a commanding voice in his mind. Sirius obliged against his will, raising his wand on James.

"Cast the killing curse!"

"No—I won't!"

"Kill him! Kill him! Kill him!"

"It's—it's James—I won't!"

"KILL HIM!"

"Avada Kedavra." The words were forced out of his mouth and just at the last moment, he swung his arm wildly, so that the jet of green light missed James' shoulder by about two inches.

Sirius was shaking so badly that he fell to his knees, gasping for breath.

"At least let him take his own decisions!" He heard James' scornful voice looming above him. Looking up, Sirius saw that James had moved to stand in front of him protectively.

"James Potter, I was speaking to your friend here."

Voldemort flicked his wand and James stumbled aside. Within a moment, Sirius had stood up and helped James to his feet. Voldemort surveyed them standing shoulder to shoulder, clutching their wands.