HALLOWEEN, 1981

31st October, 1981

James and Lily led a rather dull but happy life in hiding. Lily had been teaching colours to Harry, who was a fast learner. Harry was also generous with his affections, and both the father and the mother loved the feel of his tiny arms around their necks and his wet kisses on their cheeks.

In the evening of Halloween, Harry had spread out the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle that Remus had brought on his birthday. His brows furrowed in concentration, he was trying to solve it.

James and Lily sat closely together on the sofa, watching him adoringly.

"I've got a beautiful family, James," said Lily contentedly, resting her head on her husband's shoulder. "If anyone told me I'd marry you seven years ago, I'd have thought he was losing his mind."

James grinned and said rather arrogantly, "Of course you couldn't help falling for my charm in the end."

"You haven't changed," said Lily, shaking her head. "You're still that arrogant git."

"The same arrogant git you fell in love with," reminded James. Lily laughed and kissed him. "I'd better get Harry's cot ready."

She went upstairs. James held out his arms and called, "Hey, Harry, come here!"

Harry obediently went over to him. James produced a little puff of smoke from his wand. "What colour is this?"

Harry laughed and tried to grab it. "Pink!"

James produced another. "O'ange!" cried Harry.

Lily came in. "Harry, come on, dear, it's time for bed."

"Good night," said James, picking up his son and handing him over to Lily, who went back upstairs to the nursery. James threw his wand down on the sofa and stretched, yawning.

Suddenly he heard footsteps outside. As he glanced out of the window, his heart stopped.

James sprinted into the hall, shouting, "Lily! Take Harry and go! It's him! Go! Run! I'll hold him off—"

How had the Fidelius Charm broken? wondered James. If only Lily and Harry escaped safely...

Voldemort entered the hall and laughed. James did not even have his wand—he stood no chance.

"Avada Kedavra."

James Potter, who had defied the Dark Lord thrice, at last fell down on the floor, beaten, betrayed by one of his best friends.

Lily was screaming in desperation, trapped upstairs. As she heard Voldemort coming up the stairs, she tried to barricade herself and Harry in, but it was no good. She didn't have her wand either.

Voldemort forced open the door. On seeing him, Lily dropped Harry into the cot behind and threw her hands wide, trying to shield her son.

 On seeing him, Lily dropped Harry into the cot behind and threw her hands wide, trying to shield her son

"Not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry!"

"Stand aside, you silly girl...stand aside now..."

"Not Harry, please no, take me, kill me instead—"

"This is my last warning."

"Not Harry! Please...have mercy...have mercy...Not Harry! Not Harry! Please—I'll do anything—"

"Stand aside—stand aside, girl—" Voldemort lost his patience. "Avada Kedavra," he hissed, and Lily Potter fell down too.

The moment Harry saw Voldemort's face, he began to cry. Quivering with triumph, the Dark Lord cast the killing curse on the child.

There was a huge explosion. The house was reduced to ruins. Harry's crying was the only thing that could be heard vaguely.

Voldemort was gone.