THE LAST YEAR BEGINS

1st September, 1977

At King's Cross station, Remus pumped James' arm and Peter hugged him. Though Sirius pretended to continue his gloom, actually all three of them were delighted to have their best friend as Head Boy.

Alice rushed over to them.

"Congrats, James!"

"It's you? I thought it'd be Remus!" said Marlene.

"Everyone keeps saying that," grumbled James. Then he looked around sharply, catching a glimpse of red hair.

"LILY! Come over here!" shouted Marlene.

Lily did.

"Look who's Head Boy!" cried Alice. Lily glanced at the badge on James' chest.

"Give Remus his badge back, James. You don't fool me."

James looked deeply injured.

"It's really James, Lily," said Remus, grinning.

Lily stared at James suspiciously.

"All right, then," said Lily at last, still sounding mistrustful. "Let's go to the Prefects' compartment. We've got to lead the meeting."

They reached the compartment. By the time all the Prefects arrived, the train was already moving.

"Hey, guys! As you've seen, you have had the terrible luck of becoming Prefects—" began James cheerfully.

"James," said Lily pointedly as several people there started to smile.

"Good morning, Prefects," said Lily in an official sort of voice. "You have been given the honour of becoming Prefects of the school—"

James looked incredulous. Lily rolled her eyes.

"—and I'm sure none of you will use this position to misuse your power..."

Lily gave them the general instructions and patrolling timetables.

"And that concludes our meeting," said Lily finally, after answering all their questions.

"Thank God," muttered James.

The meeting ended with a laugh. James got up to leave.

"We are supposed to stay here. Professor McGonagall will come to tell us something," said Lily.

"Oh." James sat down again.

There was an awkward silence between them.

"It's our last Hogwarts year, Evans," said James.

"Can't you call me by my name?"

"You give me permission?" James looked delighted.

Lily grinned. "Yes."

"It's our last Hogwarts year, Lily."

"Yes, but we'll come back."

"To drop our children, for one."

"Children?" Lily sounded amused.

"Yes. I want a boy,' said James.

"So do I. I'll name my son Harry," said Lily.

"WHAT?"

Lily jumped violently. "Do you mind not shouting so loudly, idiot?" she said crossly.

"I will name my son Harry too! I thought it out ages ago!"

Lily snorted. "Well, they'll be different—your Harry and my Harry."

"My Harry will break every school rule."

"My Harry will hate bullying."

"My Harry will be a great Quidditch player."

"My Harry will be kind-hearted and quiet."

"My Harry will always be in detention."

"My Harry will even save his enemy's life."

James sighed. "Yeah, they'll be different...to say the least."

--------------------

When Professor McGonagall came in, she saw James and Lily talking and laughing.

Later she told Dumbledore, "I reckon you were right when you said that Lily and James will get on together well."

"It was clear from the way they were fighting Voldemort last year, Minerva."