FRIENDS

"Our last Sorting," said Remus mournfully as the little first years were led in by Professor McGonagall.

"If we moan at every little thing, we will miss the fun of this year too," said Sirius, with unusual practicality, they thought.

The next morning, they got their timetables.

"Got loads of free periods," said Marlene.

"For NEWTs, Marl," said Lily. "We need to study."

"I also have to patrol with Lily every Wednesday night," said James triumphantly to his friends later.

"For heaven's sake, don't ask her out everyday," said Remus.

"Don't worry, Remus, I've matured.'

Sirius snorted.

--------------------

On the first Wednesday night, Lily met James at the portrait hole.

"Hi, James!"

"Hi, Lily." James messed his hair unconsciously.

As they walked down the corridor, Lily said, "You're still Quidditch captain, right?"

"Yeah."

"Hope we win this year. Last year we lost totally unfairly."

To Lily's surprise, James only smiled at that, and did not, as she had expected, go off into a long boast about his Quidditch skills as he used to do earlier at the slightest mention of the game.

"Do you like to eat, Lily?"

"What?"

"You know, eat good stuff..."

"Of course I do," said Lily, a little alarmed.

"What d'you like the most?"

"Treacle tart, I think...you?"

"I like steaks and stuff. But there is another thing I love," said James, his hazel eyes glinting impishly. "Firewhiskey."

"Have you tasted it?" asked Lily sternly.

"Once or twice."

"You're under age!"

"It's all right; we didn't get drunk or anything."

"We?"

"Me and Sirius. Remus didn't."

"Of course not. Remus is nice. And sensible."

"Too much," said James fondly.

They chatted comfortably all through the two hours.

"Lily?" asked James, hesitatingly, as they reached their common room. "Are we friends now?"

Relieved, Lily nodded. "Of course we are friends. Good night, James."

"G'night, Lily."

--------------------

"Apparition lessons," read out Remus from the notice board few days later.

"We are all over age," said James. "So we're allowed."

"Training starts on the 1st of October," read out Peter.

"I bet we'll all pass safely," said Sirius.

"Yeah, we're Ani—" began Peter.

"Shut up!"

--------------------

They soon discovered that NEWTs were of far higher standard than OWLs.

"We need Transfiguration, Potions, and of course, DADA for Auror Training," said James one day. "You'll be an Auror too, Remus?"

"Yeah...that's the best for the Order, I think," said Remus.

"Sirius, when will you take this thing seriously?"

"I am serious—I'll be a mechanic in a Muggle shop."

"He is hopeless," said Remus to James.

--------------------

"We need a Chaser in place of Frank," said James on the day of Gryffindor Quidditch trials.

There was some difficulty in selecting the new Chaser. None of the applicants seemed particularly good.

"I have a great idea, Prongs!" said Sirius, as the team flew over to James. "Can't we play with two Chasers? You are the only Chaser who scores anyway. Let's play with six players."

"Kindly keep your ideas to yourself, Padfoot," said James grimly. He was not in a very good mood just then.

Ultimately James selected Romelza Dane as the chaser. She wasn't very good, but she was at least better than the rest.