INCOMPLETE FOREVER

The presence of a spy among them got more than one subsequent confirmations.

One day in January, Moody sent everyone the message that Maple Square had been discovered by Death Eaters, too, though they hadn't harmed anyone. After that, the Order decided that it was impossible to have a single Headquarters.

A week later, James reported that two Death Eaters had attempted to kidnap him when he was on his way to a meeting of the Order in a makeshift shack. Apparently their idea was to hold James as hostage in return of Harry.

Dumbledore took a grim view of this. "Someone is keeping Voldemort informed of your movements, James. It is too risky for you to continue normal work as a member of the Order."

James' heart sank as he realized what was coming.

"You have to go into hiding with Lily and Harry. There is no other option."

James did not protest. He could see that if he did not do as their former Headmaster said, he was only putting Harry's life in danger.

Before he was leaving, Dumbledore took him aside and asked, "Could I borrow your Invisibility Cloak for a few days?"

"Sure, Headmaster," said James, wondering what on earth he wanted with it.

--------------------

In late January, the Order scheduled meeting in the "Coach and Horses" in Iping, in view of a new law passed by the Ministry that people would be handed over to Azkaban without a trial if suspected of Dark activities.

Marlene came out of her house in the evening. Her parents and Doris had decided to skip the meeting. She hadn't gone seven steps before she heard a terrible scream from inside her house.

Marlene turned and dashed into the house. The first scene that greeted her was her mother lying on the floor, her eyes open, an expression of horror on her face. As Marlene made her way upstairs shakily, she saw that her father and sister were dead too.

Struck with horror and grief, Marlene sank to her knees, too dazed to realize that their killers might still be in the house.

Moments later, two hands closed around her throat.

--------------------

When Marlene woke up, she found herself tied and lying on the floor of a bare room. A guard at the door looked at her and called, "She's awake, my Lord."

"Thank you, Travers. You may go now," said the familiar high, cold voice. Marlene's heart went cold.

Voldemort entered the room.

"Marlene McKinnon...close friends of the Potters, I believe."

Marlene kept quiet, hoping her instincts were wrong.

"Where are Potters hiding?"

"I—I don't know."

"You do know, girl. Tell me immediately!" said Voldemort. Marlene still kept quiet. "You are at my mercy now, as you very well know." He came closer, and produced a knife from his pocket.

Marlene's heart sank as she recognized her own knife.

Before he struck however, he raised his wand and said, "Crucio!"

As she screamed and shook on the floor, she heard Voldemort's cold voice, "Where are the Potters?"

"I won't tell you!" Marlene tried to shout, but her voice came out weakly.