QUIDDITCH TRIALS

James saw his long awaited notice on the notice board in November—Gryffindor Quidditch trials. It was scheduled from nine the next morning.

"I've got the most wonderful broom," said James.

"Is it in the dorm? Let's see it," said Peter.

It was a Nimbus 1000. It was really a very fine broom, one of the best available in the market.

The next day dawned bright. James was tremendously excited. As they were walking to the pitch with several other Gryffindors, they saw Lily and Snape walking towards the pitch too, Snape clutching an old broom.

"Going to sweep the Quidditch pitch with your mother's old broom, Snivelly?" said James loudly.

The Gryffindors except Remus laughed loudly.

Lily turned around and glared at James. "You leave him alone."

"Lay off, James," said Remus in a low voice, "The Slytherins have their trials after ours."

James obeyed Remus. Dorcas Meadows, the Gryffindor captain, made groups of five among the students who had applied. James was in the second last group.

When he played with this group, it was clear to every person on the field that James was the best flyer in the entire house, even better than Dorcas.

Dorcas was extremely pleased. "James, you'll be the new Chaser in our team."

The rest of our team remained the same. Before leaving, Dorcas asked for a quick game of the team as a whole.

When James flew out into the pitch, cheers rang out from the spectators. Enjoying himself hugely, James ran his hand through his windswept hair and flew near the spectators, waving.

He passed Lily and Snape.

"Hi, Evans!" he called cheerfully. Lily ignored him and continued talking with Snape.

His mood dampened considerably, James came back to Remus, Sirius and Peter after the match ended.

"You were brilliant, James!" gushed Peter.

The Slytherin trials were held soon afterward. The Marauders stayed back to watch Snape's trial. They took seats close to where Lily was sitting.

Snape flew horribly. There was no other word for it. He was the worst flyer of the lot, and his broom was old and malfunctioning.

James, Sirius and Peter jeered at him along with most of other Gryffindors present there. Remus sat beside them quietly, wanting to stop them, but not having the courage to.

"TAKE EVANS FOR A RIDE ON THAT BROOM OF YOURS, SNIVELLUS!" yelled James, when Snape flew above them.

Snape turned, looking furious. He darted on his broom towards them, putting on speed.

But what he intended to do, they never found out. Halfway through, he lost control of the broom and fell headfirst into the stands, landing at Mary MacDonald's feet. Mary screamed and jumped back, looking horrified.

The Gryffindors were paralysed with laughter. It was turning into a nightmare for Snape.

Lily was fuming in her seat, fiercely glaring at James and Sirius, especially James, because he had started it all.

"I wish you wouldn't taunt Snape so," said Remus reprovingly.

"Now don't you turn goody-goody, Remus," said Sirius. "James didn't hurt him. It's his fault that he's always trying to outwit James. Not that he ever could," he concluded.

"Of course he couldn't. James is worth a hundred Snapes," said Peter loyally.

"I know that. But still..." Remus sighed.