GRYFFINDOR VS SLYTHERIN

Remus did not attend classes that day. No matter how much James, Peter and Sirius looked for him, they couldn't find him.

Finally Remus appeared when they were going down for lunch.

"Where were you?" cried the three of them in unison.

"My mother was taken ill-I had to rush," he said apologetically. "I'm sorry I couldn't inform you. How was the trick? Did it work?"

"Oh, yes!" said Sirius eagerly. "The Slytherins were-"

"How's your mother now?" interrupted James.

"She's all right-nothing to worry, really," said Remus. "Tell me what happened yesterday."

His friends told him of their success. Remus was pleased. "I hope I'm with you the next time we pull off something like this. But you know...my mother has poor health-she's often taken ill."

They had Defense Against the Dark Arts with the Slytherins after lunch.

Professor Daykin ushered them inside the dark classroom.

"I will teach you some elementary spells for duelling from now on," he said in his slow deep voice. "The first, and most basic is the disarming spell-Expelliarmus!"

As he spoke, he flicked his wand in Peter's direction, and Peter's wand flew into his hand. "As you can see, if it works properly, it throws the opponent's wands out of their hand. Shall we try it in pairs, then?"

Professor Daykin first paired Sirius and Rabastan Lestrange.

"You will only try to disarm your opponent. This is not the place to show off your knowledge of other spells," he said grimly.

Sirius faced his opponent.

"Expelliarmus!" said Lestrange, aiming his wand at Sirius. Sirius ducked, and before his opponent could react, he had disarmed him.

The Gryffindors, with James leading, clapped enthusiastically. It had unofficially become a Gryffindor vs Slytherin contest.

Peter lost to Avery. Lily defeated Pam Drone. Then Professor Daykin called James and Snape.

Just before aiming the spell, James saw Lily watching them intently. Then he couldn't help throwing a different curse.

"Stupefy!" he cried, and Snape was stunned. Professor Daykin came forward and lifted the curse, saying, "I told you to use only Expelliarmus, James."

The moment Snape was rennervated, he slashed his wand, and a deep gash appeared on James's cheek. Within moments, the front of his robes was soaked with blood.

"Severus, I will deal with you later," said the Professor, and the students saw a barely controlled fury in his eyes. He took James out of the room quickly.

"That was Dark Magic, Snivelly!" shouted Sirius. "You used Dark Magic against James!"

Sirius and Remus stepped forward together and tried to disarm him at the same moment. Snape was blasted backward and fell against the wall.

"No!" screamed Lily, and she stepped in front of Snape.

Avery, Mulciber and Lestrange entered the fight with their wands raised. A flurry of curses flew between the Gryffindors and Slytherins. Sirius managed to get Avery with a well aimed hex and boils erupted on his face. Peter bravely joined in, though he barely knew any spell. Remus was fighting with Mulciber, and Lestrange aimed his wand at his back from behind.

"Coward!" cried Marlene, as she too entered the fray, and stunned Lestrange. All the other girls were standing and watching, looking terrified. Lily could only stand in front of Snape, torn between her house and her best friend.

And then, suddenly Professor Daykin entered with James. It didn't take him too long to figure out what had happened in his absence. All of them were given detention, and he took Snape to Professor Dumbledore.

"That git used Dark Magic, can you imagine?" said James, as they were going for their next class.

"Sirius and Remus got him for you!" said Peter excitedly.

"It was a brilliant fight," said Marlene, contentedly. "We'd have defeated them easily if Professor hadn't come in.

"Course we'd have," said Sirius, grinning.

"I wish I had been there!" sighed James.

A/N: A vote please?