THE CRUCIATUS CURSE

The Order of the Phoenix had one last meeting, where Ministry officials and Aurors also came. Peter was awarded an Order of Merlin, First Class. His elderly mother attended the ceremony, looking broken.

Frank called the oldest members and said, "We all know it couldn't have been Sirius—"

Remus felt his eyes smarting as he heard the trust in Frank's voice. But it was only because Sirius hadn't betrayed anyone close to the extent he had betrayed James, Peter and himself.

"It was, Longbottom. Muggle witnesses swore it...Sirius was threatening Peter, and Peter asked him how he could betray them," said Moody.

"Mad-Eye, you didn't know Sirius like we did. He could never betray James—not James—they loved each other like brothers!"

Alice, whose eyes were still red from crying, looked uncomfortable.

"I'll visit Azkaban tomorrow, and give me a vial of Veritaserum," said Frank.

--------------------

Frank walked through the corridors of Azkaban, the wizard prison on an island. Dementors glided around everywhere, but Frank's Patronus repelled them.

He reached Sirius' cell.

Sirius had gone dreadfully thin, and he looked almost ill, like most prisoners did.

"Sirius!" shouted Frank. "Sirius—Padfoot!"

Sirius looked to be in trance, but on hearing the last name, he came up. A vague look of recognition passed through his face.

"Come here, Padfoot," said Frank gently, handing him the vial. "Please drink this, old friend.'

Once Sirius had drunk it, Frank asked clearly, "Were you responsible for the deaths of Lily and James Potter?'

Was he? wondered Sirius. He hadn't sold them to Voldemort. But he had made them switch. And he had made them trust Peter, not Remus.

His head felt heavy and drowsy. It was all his fault. He knew it was. What was the point in denying it? Truth can't be hidden.

It can't.

So when Frank repeated his question—

"Yes," whispered Sirius.

--------------------

Alice came out to meet Frank when he reached the gate of their house. She saw from his face that he had failed.

Her heart sank. Of all the boys in their year, Alice's favourite had always been Sirius. Though he was wicked and sometimes cruel to the people he disliked, Alice had been completely sure of the good-heartedness underneath.

But Sirius had fooled her.

Sirius had fooled them all.

Frank looked as defeated as she felt. Slipping her arm into his, she said, "Neville's sleeping. Your mother is with him."

Frank sighed. "I still can't believe that Sirius..."

"Stop worrying about it, Frank. We can't do anything."

They walked in silence in the garden.

"Expelliarmus!"

Frank and Alice were disarmed. Bellatrix and her husband Rodolphus Lestrange, his brother Rabastan Lestrange and an unknown Death Eater were surrounding them.

"Longbottom, where is the Dark Lord?" hissed Bellatrix.

"Get a life, Bellatrix! Your master is gone!" said Frank angrily.

Bellatrix stepped forward, looking mad. She aimed at Frank. "Crucio! Where is the Dark Lord?"

"We don't know!" yelled Frank, gasping with pain.

"Maybe your wife knows?" said Rodolphus. "Crucio! Alice Longbottom, where is Lord Voldemort?"

"FRANK!" screamed Alice in desperation.

The Death Eaters continued. "Crucio!" "Crucio!" "Tell us where he is!"

There is only a certain limit up to which the Cruciatus Curse can be endured. By the time Augusta Longbottom, on hearing their screams, rushed out and informed the Ministry, Alice and Frank had stopped speaking completely.

Ministry Aurors came and arrested the Death Eaters. Frank was standing and staring at a distance. Alice was crouched on the ground, shaking.

"Alice, dear," said Augusta gently. "Let's go inside." She bent down to see her daughter-in-law.

Alice looked up at her. Her eyes were completely blank. There was no sign of recognition on her face.

"Frank!" called Augusta. Frank turned.

The same blank expression.

Augusta Longbottom hurriedly took them to St. Mungo's where Frank and Alice were placed in the ward which contained patients whose brains had been severely addled by magic.

"How long will it take for them to get back their memories?" asked Augusta anxiously.

"We're not sure, madam," said the Healer apologetically. Her tone clearly said that Frank and Alice Longbottom's memories and sanity were gone forever.