HOLIDAYS

Few days later, Hogwarts dissolved after the completion of the year.

When Sirius alighted from the train with his friends, he saw Regulus waiting for him.

"Mother told me too look for you," said Regulus stiffly.

Sirius nodded curtly. He turned and said goodbye to his friends.

Then the brothers walked over to the Black family. There was Bellatrix and Andromeda with their sister Narcissa and their parents.

Everyone turned when Sirius approached them,

"Are you mingling with Potter's son?" asked Orion Black.

"I am."

"Sirius—do you know that the Potters are one of the greatest blood traitors in Britain?" asked his father coldly.

"If you mean that they're not raving pureblood maniacs like our family, then yes, I know," retorted Sirius.

All the elders gasped and looked horrified. Predictable, Sirius thought.

Orion Black grabbed his shoulders roughlt. "You will not send a single owl to people like that. We'll be watching you."

Sirius shrugged, looking unconcerned. "As you wish."

It was a very bad beginning to the holidays. His parents kept a careful vigil to see whether he sent any owl or not, but they didn't have any reason to complain.

Sirius talked occasionally with James on their two-way mirror. During those minutes, Sirius could get a feel about what the Potter household was like—full of love and warmth. James was also very fond of their house-elf Jinny. Sirius thought of their house-elf.

It was called Kreacher, and it worshipped Regulus. One day, when Sirius was talking with James, Kreacher came into the room for cleaning. He got out quickly and moments later Regulus came to his room.

"What you're doing?" he asked suspiciously.

"Gotta go, James," said Sirius hastily, and put away the mirror. "What is it with you?" he asked Regulus, looking at him with dislike.

"You were talking to James Potter, weren't you? Father told you not to!"

"Why should I listen to a—man—like that?" said Sirius angrily, reminding himself not to swear in front of his little brother.

"I'll tell him. You can't disobey him in this house," said Regulus.

"Go and tell him, then," said Sirius scornfully. "You're becoming just like one of those cowardly bastards of Slytherin."

"You already have become an arrogant, puffed-up Gryffindor!"

"Slytherins use Dark Magic."

"Gryffindors hex others for no reason."

"Thanks for reminding me," said Sirius, grinning. "I'll have a nice hex in store for you next term."

"If you do," began Regulus hotly.

"You'll tell Mommy and Daddy, isn't it?"

"You're a traitor. And you are discontent about everything—even your family," said Regulus nastily.

"Wrong. My family is the only thing I'm discontent about. Now tell father or whatever—but just get the hell out of here."

Regulus was about to retort something when he saw that an old childhood picture of him and his brother, which used to hang in Sirius' room, had been replaced by a picture of James, Remus, Peter and Sirius.

He turned without a word and disappeared.

Sirius slammed the door after him.

--------------------

"Tell me your address," said James in the mirror in the beginning of August.

"Number 12, Grimmauld Place," said Sirius. "Why?"

"I heard it's protected," said James with a grin, and cut the connection.

Sirius wished James wouldn't talk in riddles. However, that afternoon, he realized what his motive had been.

The bell rang at 2 o'clock.

His parents had been sleeping. Sirius went to open the door.

"Don't go!" hissed his father, coming out. "There might be dangerous people waiting to come in."

Sirius crossed his arms and leaned against a pillar, waiting to see what dangerous people might be there. His father, armed with his wand, opened the door cautiously.

"Hello, uncle!" said a cheerful voice.

"James?" cried Sirius, hardly able to believe his ears. He rushed to the door.

James and his father Harold Potter were standing there, grinning.

"Sir, if you could give us your permission, we would like to take your son to our house for the remainder of the holidays," said Harold politely.

Sirius's mother had come out too.

"He isn't going anywhere," snarled Orion Black.

"Come on, father, why not?" asked Sirius.

"That is—not a place for—you to live in," he said jerkily.

Regulus had also come out now.

"You and mother hardly talk to me, father. And you don't allow Regulus to talk with me either," said Sirius, starting to get annoyed.

"Sirius Black!" said his mother shrilly. "This is not the way to speak about your family!"

James saw the familiar glint in his best friend's eyes.

"I'm going, and you can't stop me. Accio trunk!" Sirius' belongings flew downstairs. He heaved them on his shoulders. James rushed to help him.

"Sirius, you aren't going anywhere," said Orion Black furiously, stepping forward and trying to grab him.

Sirius dodged and stepped out of the doorway.

"Goodbye!" he called cheekily, as they Apparated away with Harold Potter.

Once they had reached the Potters' house in Godric Hollow, Sirius thanked James' parents profusely.

James's mother hugged him affectionately and said, "You needn't thank us, dear. You're our son's best friend, and we know what sort of family you've got."

James parents were about as different as possible from his own parents, reflected Sirius, after the first week. He already loved them more than Orion and Walburga Black.

The rest of the holidays were a super success for both of them.