SISTERS

Petunia's wedding was scheduled in the month of March. In spite of her sister's less than warm invitation, Lily couldn't dream of missing it. She studied a few Owl Post service brochures to search for Petunia's gift.

Finally she found the perfect one. It was a huge bunch of glittery golden flowers, and it had tiny birds flying around it, charmed by magic.

Two days before the wedding, one day, when Lily was looking at her beautiful new dress with Alice, Marlene and Mary, a messenger came and told her that Professor Dumbledore wanted her in his office.

There was sudden tension in the common room. Lily went white. James stood up at once and took her arm.

"I'll come with you," he said gently.

James stood outside the office when Lily went inside. The moment she came out, he knew that something was terribly wrong.

"Lily?" James took her shoulders.

"Someone must've told him that I'll join the Order. They—they killed my parents," whispered Lily.

"Oh, Lily..." said James, his heart full of sympathy.

Lily was not crying. She did not even look very sad. She just looked numb.

James drew her to him. "It's all right, Lils...it'll be all right."

"When my parents are—gone?" cried Lily. "And Tuney will—Tuney will hate me even more now! I have lost everyone, James—everyone." Lily sounded slightly hysterical.

"You have me," said James quietly.

Lily started crying. James let her cry on his shoulder, stroking her hair as she cried.

"I'll always be there for you, Lily. You'll never lose everyone."

"I...I know that, James. But it's all so unfair..."

"Isn't it?" said James bitterly. "Is anything regarding Voldemort fair? But we'll fight him—we'll defeat him, for all the innocent lives he has taken and all the families he has torn apart."

"You're right..."

"We'll fight them together, Lily. Always."

Neither of them noticed the dark shadow of Severus Snape watching them from a corner.

--------------------

Petunia's wedding was a subdued affair. James had taken permission from Dumbledore to go with Lily. He did not intend to let her go alone, in case some Death Eater was waiting for her.

No disruption occurred, however. Petunia, most unexpectedly, didn't blame Lily. She seemed numb, just like her sister.

Before James and Lily were leaving, Lily gave her gift to Petunia.

"It has magic in it. But please don't throw it away," said Lily.

"I won't, Lily. You're my little sister, after all...you're all I have now," said Petunia. Lily stared at her, stunned.

"I love you, Tuney," choked Lily.

Petunia hugged her sister. "I love you too, Lily."

The two sisters hugged each other and cried and cried. James watched them from a distance, feeling heartfelt glad that Lily's sister had forgiven her.