HARRY POTTER

Sirius, Remus and Peter took turns in visiting Lily when James was on duty. Lily's life had suddenly turned terribly dull. From always being on the go, fighting and escaping for a year and a half, it was extremely boring to sit at home all day, waiting for her husband and friends to bring her news.

But there was Harry to think about. Once they were confirmed that it was a boy, James and Lily had agreed to name him Harry as per both of their childhood wish.

Though the chance that Harry would reveal some extraordinary power and defeat Voldemort was slim, Lily desperately clung to that bit of hope.

--------------------

On 30th July, 1980, at nearly midnight, Sirius, Remus and Peter went to St. Mungo's owing to James' hasty message that Lily was in labour. As they waited outside, listening to the various wails of babies inside the delivery room, they got the news that Frank and Alice's son—Neville—had been born that day.

At around one o'clock, when the three Marauders were nearly dropping off to sleep, Marlene arrived.

"Has he been born?" she asked breathlessly.

"Not yet," said Sirius, moving to make space for her. "Where were you?'

"Protecting an orphanage in London with Hestia and Susan."

She leaned against the wall, looking tired.

Somehow, Sirius realized, he and Marlene were always posted in different places. In fact, he hadn't met her since last year's Christmas.

Another hour passed in silence.

"Hospitals are so depressing. Isn't the child late?" groaned Sirius.

Remus glanced at him disapprovingly. "It's your best friend's son, Padfoot."

"I know, that's why I'm here tonight." Sirius yawned. "This entire business sucks, if you ask me."

"No one did ask you, so be quiet."

Marlene giggled. After another half hour, Sirius stood up and stretched.

"Hey, Moony, will James mind awfully if I cut now?"

"He'll never forgive you," said Remus seriously.

A shriek echoed from the room. They all turned sharply.

James burst out, grinning from ear to ear. "He's here—he's here!"

"About time," muttered Sirius, but James was too happy to care for his friend's grumbles. He hugged Sirius, and then Remus and Peter.

"Come and see Harry!"

They trooped into the room. Marlene went over and hugged Lily, who was looking fine, although a little white. She was holding a little bundle of clothes.

"Hold him, Padfoot!" cried James, taking it up and offering it to Sirius.

"Uh—no, thanks," said Sirius, nervously. He was sure that he would drop it.

"Oh, go on!" insisted James.

Sirius took it carefully, trying to locate the head so that he could support it. James moved the clothes a bit so that the face was visible.

Sirius looked at the perfect sleeping face, spellbound. Then the child opened his eyes—startling almond-shaped green eyes—Lily's eyes—and looked into Sirius' gray ones.

For a moment, Sirius forgot where he was. Harry stared at him and suddenly smiled. Sirius smiled back, his eyes misting over. He felt such an attachment to this little thing that it was almost irrational. He thought that he would risk anything—anything—to protect Harry.

"Sirius." Lily's gentle voice broke his trance. He looked up and saw Marlene holding out her arms expectantly. Sirius never wanted to let Harry go. Reluctantly, he handed him over to Marlene.

"You like him, don't you, Padfoot?" asked James, grinning.

"He's perfect," whispered Sirius.

--------------------

It was nearly 3:15 a.m. when everyone except the father, mother and son got up to leave.

Marlene walked out, stumbling, looking extremely tired. Sirius, standing beside his flying motorbike, said, "I'll drop you at your home, Marlene."

"Thanks, Sirius," said Marlene, sounding glad. She mounted the bike behind Sirius.

"It's not even morning. D'you think the Muggles will notice if I fly the bike?"

"I'm sure they won't," said Marlene, who was eager to see the thing fly.

So Sirius took off. Marlene put her arms around his waist as they gained height.

"This is wonderful!" she cried. "Did you enchant this all by yourself?"

"Course I did, McKinnon."

They flew on in silence. After some time, Marlene's hold on Sirius weakened and her forehead touched his back. Realizing that she was asleep, Sirius decided that it was entirely too dangerous to keep on flying.

He landed the bike beside a lake, and carefully lifted the sleeping girl out of it. Marlene didn't wake up. She slumped against Sirius as he sat on the grassy bank and continued sleeping peacefully.

Sirius sat still, careful not to wake her up. He found himself thinking of their Hogwarts days, which seemed ages ago—how he had snubbed Marlene rudely every time she hinted that she loved him, just to spite Lily. He wondered if that had been the right thing after all.

After some time, Marlene began to stir. She opened her eyes and looked around groggily.

"It's all right. We're on the outskirts of Bath," said Sirius.

"What happened?" asked Marlene anxiously.

"Nothing. You fell asleep, so we had to land. Are you eating or sleeping at all these days, McKinnon?" grumbled Sirius.

Marlene glanced at him. "Look at who's speaking. Well, we're in a war...there are more important things than eating and sleeping, right?"

"You can't neglect your health!" said Sirius sharply.

Marlene grinned. "Let's sneak some food from those shops then."

Sirius jumped up hastily, his face brightening. "Good idea!"

The shops hadn't opened yet, and they used magic to steal food, though Sirius left some Muggle money on the counter.

They ate on the banks of the river.

"D'you think we'll all get out of this safely?" asked Marlene.

"I have my doubts," admitted Sirius. "We've lost too many people already."

"Yeah...well, the main thing is to keep Lily and Harry safe now."

Sirius stared at her bent head for a moment too long. Marlene looked up and held his gaze. Sirius blinked and looked away.

They stared at the lake in silence.

"Dawn is coming," said Marlene wistfully, as the first rays of the sun broke out.

Sirius' heart sank as he thought of how many days later he'll see her again.

"Yeah..." he said at last. "We should be going back now."

They cleared the remains of their food and flew off into the sky again.