THE TWO WAY MIRROR

Remus took the Daily Prophet, which arrived at breakfast with the morning post every day.

One day, there were headlines about the death of a Muggle family without any visible reason of death.

"The Ministry officials suspect that it has been done by the killing curse," read Remus.

"There are too many things like this in the paper these days," said James. "Some people say there's a mastermind behind these—who calls himself Lord Voldemort...heard of him?"

The others shook their heads.

"My father was talking about it with a friend of his few months ago," continued James. "They think Lord Voldemort wants to remove all Muggles and Muggleborns from the face of the Earth."

"But why would anyone want that?" asked Peter disbelievingly.

"I can believe it all right," said Sirius darkly.

There was a silence.

"Evans is Muggleborn too," said James irrelevantly.

"Yeah, and so are plenty of others in the school," said Sirius.

"James—if this person actually tries to kill all non-magic people and Muggleborns—won't the wizarding world fight him?" asked Remus. "I mean, such an evil intention can't possibly be carried out, can it? No one will support him!"

"Remus Lupin, look at the Slytherin table and say it again that no one will support him," said Sirius.

"Lots of people will support him—that's the problem," said James.

"Then will there be a war?" asked Peter, looking scared.

"I dunno," said James grimly.

"Look how gloomy we all are," said Sirius disapprovingly. "I know something that'll improve our mood. James?" he said, meeting his best friend's eyes.

James jumped up at once. "Yes, let's!"

"What are you going to do?" asked Peter, bewildered.

"We will hex a few people who actually are part of these horrible killings," said James.

"James, no! They are not part of it. Not yet, anyway," said Remus.

"Ever heard of the saying, prevention is better than cure, Remmie?" said Sirius, grinning.

"Don't call me that," said Remus with a vague attempt at indignation. "Are you really going then?" Remus looked pale and tried.

"Do you feel ill?" asked Sirius, alarmed.

"No," said Remus.

"Peter, take Remus back to the common room," ordered Sirius. "James, come on."

Few hours later, Professor Slughorn went to Professor McGonagall and said sorrowfully, "Minerva, two boys of your house have unfortunately hexed around ten people of my house."

"Have you found out who they are?"

"Mr. Potter and Mr. Black, of course."

Professor McGonagall frowned and summoned the offenders. "You will have detention with Filch from this moment till as late as he keeps you, Potter. And you, Black, can go to library. I'll tell Madam Pince to give you some work," she said grimly.

"But Professor," protested James. "As we did the same—er—crime, shouldn't we get—?"

"Same detentions?" she asked. "I'm afraid not. Detentions are not a place to think up a reason for the next detention."

Sirius met James in the corridor when they were returning to the common room late in the evening.

"That git made me work awfully hard," groaned James, stretching. "Detentions are going to be dreadful if you and I can't be together, Sirius."

"I know," said Sirius. "But I've found something." Sirius held up an old library book, labeled 'Charming and Modifying Everyday Objects.'

"Since when have you been borrowing library books?" asked James skeptically.

"I didn't borrow it for studying. Look!"

Sirius had opened a page. Together they read it. It contained a method of connecting broken parts of the same object.

"It says connecting it in the way it is generally used," said Sirius.

"So?"

"So if we use a mirror—two parts of a broken mirror, James—" said Sirius.

"We'll be able to see each other through it!" cried James excitedly. "You really have found a worthwhile thing at last."

"Let's go and ask Remus if he knows this charm."

Remus was not in the dorm.

"He has gone to visit his mother," said Peter.

"Again?" said Sirius "He went last month too—didn't he?"

"His mother's ill, Sirius!" said James sharply.

"All right, all right," said Sirius. "Do you have a mirror?"

"Do I look like I have got one?" said James crossly. "Ask a girl. They're sure to have it."

"You're right. I'll bring one," said Sirius, striding out of the room.

"Wait!" cried James. "Do you know a girl who would give you hers?"

"It's none of your business, James Potter," said Sirius, his lips twitching.

"Who is it? Sirius, who is it?"

Sirius ignored him and went out. James followed him with Peter. Sirius went to the other tower and reached the Ravenclaw common room.

"She is from Ravenclaw? Really?"

Sirius knocked on the door. Someone peeped out and asked who he wanted.

"Could you call Andromeda, please?" said Sirius. Then he turned and grinned at James, who looked furious.

"Couldn't you have told us earlier?"

"No, I couldn't," said Sirius casually.

When his cousin sister came out, he talked with her for a minute and then she went and brought a mirror with her.

"Thanks, Andy!" said Sirius cheerfully, as he turned to go.

"I suppose you thought it was really funny to make us follow you here to see your sister," muttered James.

"Stop grumbling," said Sirius, hanging his arm around James' shoulder.

By the end of the night, James and Sirius had succeeded in breaking and magically connecting the pieces. It was a perfect two way mirror.

"Professor McGonagall's smart," James told Remus when he came back the next morning.

"But we are smarter," added Sirius. 

A/N: Too right you are, Sirius😂
Please vote and comment 🙏