LILY'S BLIND SPOT

Right from the first day, every teacher took it upon themselves to impress the importance of OWLs—Ordinary Wizarding Level tests—that they would be having at the end of the year.

"We know we don't have to worry about them," said James in the dorm that night.

'Why not?" demanded Remus.

"We're going to lead all of 'em, Moony—you and me and Prongs," said Sirius arrogantly. "D'you think anyone of our year—or even older—could become Animagi?"

"Overconfidence," muttered Remus.

"When's full moon this month?" asked Peter.

"Next Thursday," said Remus.

"So we need a proper plan. How d'you get through the Whomping Willow, Remus?" asked James.

"Pressing a knot at its base."

"That's perfect for Wormtail!" said James and Sirius at exactly the same time.

"Then Wormy will freeze the tree—and you two will come and fetch me out?" asked Remus.

"Yeah, and we'll explore the Hogwarts grounds," said Sirius.

"What if Filch sees if you while you're sneaking out?"

James pulled out his Invisibility Cloak and waved it in Remus' face.

"But..." said Remus reluctantly. "What if you two don't manage to control me? What if I bite someone?"

"What's life without a few risks, Moony?" demanded James.

"We'll try it!" said Peter eagerly.

They couldn't wait for full moon.

--------------------

On the way to the Marauders' trademark tree in the weekend, they came across Snape, Avery and Mulciber. They were huddled in the corner of a corridor. James and Sirius slunk over to them.

"Yeah, the Dark Lord did send..." Snape was saying. Avery suddenly spotted them.

James and Sirius flicked their wands, and Avery and Mulciber were hanging in the air. Snape raised his wand and slashed it at James, bellowing, "Sectumsempra!"

James staggered back, as a deep gash appeared from his forehead across his cheek.

Remus did not have second thoughts, though he was a Prefect. He darted forward and stunned Snape.

Lily appeared on the scene just then.

"Remus, you're a PREFECT!" she shouted furiously. He turned to James and Sirius. "Leave them alone."

"Standing up for future Death Eaters, Evans?" asked Sirius with a hint of anger.

"I'll report this to Professor McGonagall," said Lily coldly.

"And make her take away points from your own house?" asked James promptly.

Lily bent and rennervated Snape. "Come on, Severus, let's go." Snape walked away with Lily without a word, though he glared balefully at the Marauders.

James let Avery down and waved at Sirius to tell him to let down Mulciber too. As the four of them walked away, Remus tried every healing spell he knew, but the bleeding on James' cheek would not stop.

"Let's go to Madam Pomfrey, Prongs," said Sirius bracingly. "We don't know how to reverse Dark Magic."

"Why does Evans stand up for those Death Eaters?" asked James, turning to his friends. "She's a Muggleborn too. Voldemort's servants will not hesitate to hurt her."

"It's not a question of Voldemort's servants, James," said Remus gently. "Snape's her best friend and she has got a blind spot as far as he is concerned. She doesn't see them as future Death Eaters...she sees them as her best friend and his friends."

They had reached the Hospital Wing. Professor McGonagall intercepted them.

"Fifty points for Gryffindor for an unprovoked attack on other students, Potter, Black, Lupin. As a Prefect, Lupin, I expected better from you."

She noticed the blood on James' face. "What curse did they hit you with?"

"Never heard of it before, Professor," said James.

"Snape did it?" asked the Professor.

"Yes," they said.

Next day, they were glad to see that Slytherin had lost 50 points too.