THE SECRET KEEPER

On 11th September, Sirius, Lily and James sat together around the round table in the bedroom of Godric Hollow.

Lily dictated the chants that Sirius had to say. After that, Sirius had to close his eyes and concentrate.

Unbidden scenes flashed in his mind. He saw Marlene being tortured by Voldemort for James and Lily's whereabouts . Then he rememberd the deathly power of Veritaserum.

Voldemort was sure to come after him. Even if the spy didn't tell him, Voldemort would guess.

What if he was forced to give his best friends away?

"No," gasped Sirius suddenly.

"What happened?" asked James and Lily anxiously.

"It's suicide to make me Secret Keeper, Prongs. They will come after me. They'll force me; they'll make me give you away," said Sirius desperately.

Both James and Lily looked shocked.

"Normally I'd do anything for you two-but this is too dangerous-don't make me do this, please..."

"Of course I understand your point, mate," said James. "I still trust you to be our Keeper...but if you feel so strongly..."

"Make Peter your Keeper," said Sirius suddenly.

"What?" Both Lily and James sounded stunned.

Sirius grinned. "Exactly. No one will ever suspect him."

"I reckon he's right, Lily," said James.

"Right, then, I'll send him a message right away," said Lily. "You two finish your goodbyes." She left the room.

"Well, our goodbyes," said James, grinning nervously.

"Yeah."

An uncomfortable silence fell between them.

At last James got up and brought something from a drawer. It was his fragment of their two-way mirror.

He held it out to Sirius. "You keep this, Padfoot. You know we're not allowed to have any contact with the outside world once the charm is performed. Give this back to me once the war is over."

"Ok." Sirius pocketed it. James' words made both of them feel better, as they made it seem like they would meet again after the war.

Probably for the first time ever, James Potter and Sirius Black were out of things to say to each other.

Lily came back. "Peter is on his way."

"Good," said Sirius, clearing his throat.

Lily looked at both of them. Then she tactfully went out of the room.

"You will inform Remus about the switch, ok? We don't have time now," said James.

"I'll inform him," said Sirius, averting his eyes. Though James realized that his best friend was lying, he did not say anything. Today was the last day he wanted to fall out with Sirius.

Lily came in again, this time with Peter. "You will trust me with this?" he was asking.

"Of course, Wormtail," said Lily warmly. She went to Sirius and hugged him. "Will miss you, Padfoot. Stay safe. Don't be rash. Don't take unnecessary risks."

"Right, mom," said Sirius, grinning. "I'd better go now."

James walked with Sirius to the door, still in silence. James wondered uncomfortably how it was that Lily could tell him goodbye but he couldn't.

"Well, Prongs, bye then," said Sirius.

James flew at him and hugged him as hard as he could. "I will miss you so much!" he cried, feeling tears coming to his eyes again. What was the matter with him?

"So will I, mate. But the war will soon end," said Sirius, trying to sound convincing.

This might be their last ever meeting. The ominous thought hung over both of them.

"Love you, brother...best friend... whatever..." said Sirius.

"Quit the drama, mate. But love you too."

James and Sirius laughed.

Then Sirius apparated away. James slowly turned back, wiping away his tears on his sleeve.

"Daddy!"

Harry came running up to him.

James lifted him up and cuddled him, wanting to laugh and cry at the same time.

Harry and Sirius were two of the most precious things in his life. Pity he couldn't have both of them.

By that night, the Fidelius Charm had been performed.