THE JOURNEY ENDS

On the morning of the ball, James took an impulsive decision.

"I'm sure you'll forgive me, Lils, if I tell you I'll skip the ball tomorrow," said James to Lily.

"Are your friends coming?" asked Lily.

"No."

"Then your absence will be noticed!"

"You'll cover up for us, won't you?"

"I suppose so," said Lily ungraciously.

"Thank you, Lily! You're the best!" James hugged her. Lily rolled her eyes, but ruffled his hair affectionately.

--------------------

The last full moon adventure—the thought hung over the Marauders gloomily all day. Usually the three Animagi went down at midnight, but that day they decided to go earlier, because the ball was likely to cover their sneaking out. So they went around ten thirty, and found Moony sitting restfully. He looked surprised to see his friends so early.

As Moony looked in total control, Prongs transformed back into James.

"Remus, we've decided to explore the entire Hogswarts grounds and Hogsmeade today. You ok with it?"

Moony nodded, and they set off.

There was a lot of nostalgia that trip. Earlier adventures kept coming back to their minds.

By the time they were returning from Hogsmeade, the moon was already going down.

And when they came out of the passage into the building, Moony changed back into Remus. The others changed back quickly too.

"We've got to get you back unseen," said James to Remus, slightly discomfitted. He snuck out and brought his Invisibility Cloak from the tree he had hidden it behind.

"Let's hurry," groaned Remus, catching sight of the time. Madam Pomfrey would be coming in less than five minutes.

It was difficult for four fully grown boys to hurry under a cloak. Just near the main door, the Marauders' Map fell down from James' pocket. As he turned around, Sirius and Remus pulled him. "No time!" They heard Mrs. Norris hiss behind them.

Thankfully, they managed to take Remus back to the Shack in time. While returning, the other three saw that Filch had got their map, and was studying it.

"Need to take it back?" whispered James

"I don't think so. Only a week left, so I think we'd better leave it in Hogswarts for a new generation of rule breakers to continue our tradition," said Sirius, grinning.

--------------------

Three days before the final day of the year, the NEWT results appeared. James, Sirius, Remus and Lily had all done well; Alice and Marlene did all right too.

That day in the afternoon, Dumbledore called Sirius to his office.

"I trust you are aware of the Order of the Phoenix, Mr. Black?"

"Yes, sir," said Sirius, suddenly feeling exhilarated. He had been having qualms for the last few weeks that his last name would stop him from his dream, a fear he hadn't confided even to his best friends.

"Well, I have watched you for years now, and I'm sure you'll do your best for the Order," said the Headmaster, his eyes twinkling as if he knew what the young man in front of him was thinking. "You have been reckless and foolish in the past, Sirius. But I also know that you are brave and loyal, and I will have no reason to regret recruiting you into the Order."

"You won't, Professor," said Sirius fervently.

Over the next two days, Dumbledore recruited James, Remus, Peter, Alice, Marlene and Lily into the Order of the Phoenix too.