A NEW LOVE

The new Headquarters were decided in Maple Square, Kingston, shortly before Christmas. James and Lily decided to stay back at Godric Hollow for Christmas with Harry. The rest of the Order gathered as usual for the Christmas feast.

The year had been an uneventful one. They had caught some Death Eaters, and casualties on their side had been low. But the killings were also steadily increasing every month, and the Death Eaters seemed to have turned more cautious about their meetings.

On New Year's Eve, the Order held a brief toast. Moody called out the names of all the members of the Order who had died over the years. Then they raised their glasses as Hestia said, "We hope that 1981 will bring us victory. Here's to a year full of warmth, happiness—and love."

Marlene looked up just then and saw Sirius' gray eyes fixed on her.

They stared each other for a very long time, till everyone stood up to leave. When Marlene was at the door, Sirius suddenly felt impossibly sure that he loved her, and that she too, loved him—and for a moment he wished that there was no stupid war in which they would always be posted in different places, and never be sure when they'll see each other again or indeed, if they'll ever see each other again.

"Bye, Sirius." Her voice broke him away from his meditations.

"Yeah, bye, Marl..."

He wished he could tell her now that he loved her.

"Marlene..." he called in such a low voice that she shouldn't have been able to hear him. But she did, and she turned to look at him again.

"Marl, I..."

No, he couldn't say it. They didn't need another weakness.

"Take care of yourself, McKinnon," he said gruffly.

"You too, Black." Marlene grasped Sirius' hand for a moment before Apparating away.

With an unusually heavy heart, Sirius did the same.