BLOOD BROTHERS

Sirius' cheerful mood lasted all through the week till they reached Hogwarts. They had transfigured the bike into a miniature toy bike, which fit inside Sirius' trunk. But all good times have a tendency to have a horrible ending.

Two days after the classes began at Hogwarts after Christmas break, Sirius got a letter during breakfast.

"From Bellatrix," he said in disgust, opening it. He read it.

Sirius suddenly felt as if his heart had turned to lead.

"What is it?" said James, alarmed at the look on his best friend's face.

Sirius tossed the letter to James, and continued eating. Remus and Peter looked questioningly at James.

"Regulus has joined Voldemort," said James in a very low voice.

"What?" said Peter, looking horrified.

"Sirius..." said Remus, feeling dreadfully sorry for him.

"I always knew it would happen," said Sirius carelessly.

And then suddenly, he laughed. James and Remus exchanged alarmed glances as Sirius' laughter became more maniacal with each second.

People at their table started glancing at them.

"Sirius." James pulled his arm. "Are you all right?"

Sirius didn't reply, but he stopped laughing at last.

Peter looked terrified, as if he thought that Sirius had lost his sanity. James and Remus were sure too, that for those twenty seconds, Sirius had really lost his sanity.

"Let's go to our class now, Padfoot," said Remus, keeping a cautious hold on his arm.

As the Marauders walked away together, James and Remus stayed on either side of Sirius protectively, but Sirius barely noticed it.

He had thought he lost Regulus when Regulus became a Slytherin.

He had thought he lost Regulus when he left their home.

But today, Sirius knew that he had, indeed, lost his little brother forever.

--------------------

There was a grim atmosphere in the evening in the Gryffindor common room a week later. One of Edgar's uncles had been murdered by Voldemort.

"I wish this stops," said Marlene.

"The supporters of You Know Who keep growing," said Edgar gloomily. "Those who oppose them inspite of being purebloods...they're in the greatest danger."

"Are there Muggleborns in the Order?" asked James.

"Yeah, a few. Most Muggleborns are going into hiding these days."

"You Know Who's supporters ought to be killed off!" said John Creevey.

Sirius, who had been unnaturally quiet all week, got up and left the common room.

"Let him go," said Remus in a low voice to James and Peter. "It's natural for him to want solitude now."

"No, it's not! We shouldn't leave him alone now!" said James, getting up. He rushed out of the common room too.

"James will be able to deal him best," said Peter. So he and Remus didn't follow.

--------------------

"Sirius!" shouted James, running after him. "Padfoot, wait!'

"I don't need sympathy, Prongs."

"I'm not here to give you sympathy."

Sirius was walking very fast.

"Astronomy Tower, again?" asked James. "What've you got for that place?"

Sirius didn't answer.

"Hey, slow down, can't you?" said James. "I don't have your unending energy—thought you knew that."

Sirius grinned grudgingly, and he slowed down.

"Look, mate, I've got a few things to say to you. Will you listen?" asked James.

"I suppose..."

"Padfoot—you can't give in like this! Your brother's a prat. Can't you stop caring?"

"I don't care—"

"Yes, you do! And you've got to understand that your family is nothing like you. They seem like a terrible disappointment to you—well, then, you must seem like one to them too!"

Sirius stared at James, too surprised to be angry.

"Apparently they don't brood over it anymore. Why should you? They shouldn't have that power over you! You shouldn't let them!" said James.

There was a pause.

"They aren't your family, Padfoot."

Sirius was still silent.

"You know they aren't."

They had reached the Astronomy Tower. Sirius leaned against a wall and crossed his arms.

"You should've learnt by now that we are your family—me and Moony and Wormtail. If you had the choice, would you exchange?"

"No."

"If they won't have you...I will."

James took out his wand. Pointing it at his palm, he said, "Diffindo!" Blood gushed out of his palm.

"James—what the hell are you doing?" cried Sirius in alarm.

James took Sirius' hand and cut it too.

"Have you gone mad?"

"No...look." And James grasped his bleeding hand against Sirius'.

" And James grasped his bleeding hand against Sirius'

They watched their blood intermix.

"Blood brothers," said James.

Sirius stared at James in disbelief. "Seriously, mate, you've got a screw loose."

"Nah, I haven't. Next time you go down in the dumps like this, it'll be 'cause I joined Voldemort."

"That'll never happen."

"Exactly."

Suddenly Sirius found himself smiling.

"Thanks...Prongs."

"Don't need it, Padfoot."

They walked down to their common room, and James had his arm around his brother's shoulder.

Neither of them bothered to stop the bleeding on their palms.