MARAUDER DISRUPTION

James happily announced to his friends that he had his first date with Lily the next day.

"It's not Hogsmeade or anything, but we'll go to the lakeside," said James.

While they were walking to lunch, Sirius fell behind with Remus. "Listen, Moony, we're gonna spy on them, right?"

"No, we're not, Padfoot."

"Yes, we are, Moony," said Sirius firmly.

"You never listen to me," said Remus sadly.

"'Cause you're so old fashioned, Moony! We'll have fun," promised Sirius.

--------------------

So, Sirius, Remus and Peter followed James and Lily under the Invisibility Cloak to the lakeside.

James and Lily settled down on the bank. The other Marauders inched closer.

"—was the first time I realized that I love you, Lily—"

Sirius rolled his eyes. He flopped down on the grass, because it was uncomfortable crouching.

Remus shoved him hard, frantically pointing at the edge of the cloak, which was starting to move off him and Peter. Sirius pushed him back.

"Idiot!" hissed Remus.

"Shhh!" said Peter.

They listened to their conversation again.

"—it's really remarkable how you changed since fifth year...you were so arrogant and cruel then, but now you're so—so sweet, James—I can't believe—"

Sirius stood up again.

"Too mushy," he whispered. He pulled his friends up by their robes, then indicated them to follow him.

They removed the cloak when they were at a safe distance.

"They were disgusting," said Sirius.

"We shouldn't have listened at all," said Remus, beginning to feel guilty.

"We've got to stop them," said Sirius with great conviction.

"What?" said Remus in despair.

"What?" asked Peter eagerly.

"I've got the perfect plan. Peter, you'll pretend to die."

"What?" asked both of them again.

"Yeah, and Remus, you will try to revive him, and I'll call James."

"Absolutely no," said Remus.

Yet, ten minutes later, Sirius was striding over to the lake.

"James!" shouted Sirius. "James—"

James stood up in alarm.

"James—something has happened to Wormtail! Come and see—"

"What has happened to him?"

"I think he's—he's dead!" said Sirius, his voice rising, apparently panicking.

James stared at him in horror.

"Please come on, Prongs..."

Lily was looking horrified too. "Shall I come too?"

"Yes, whatever—James, please—"

They found Remus crouching over Peter, shaking him, looking terrified.

'What's wrong with him?" cried James.

"He fell from that tree." Remus pointed at a very high tree near them.

"What the hell was he doing on that tree?"

Lily pushed Remus aside and felt Peter's pulse.

"I'm pretty sure he's not dead," she said drily.

For the first time, a doubt crept in James' mind. He glanced at Remus and Sirius. Both of them looked back at him innocently. Remus bent down over Peter hastily, and James could have sworn that he was beginning to grin.

"Padfoot!"

"What?"

"Peter—get up," ordered James. Peter didn't move, but he twitched a little.

"Ever seen a dead body behaving like this?" asked Lily.

Sirius and Remus exploded. They laughed and laughed till there were tears in their eyes, banging on the ground, rocking with laughter. Peter gave up his act and joined in too, and after some time, so did Lily.

James looked at his friends through narrowed eyes, wondering how he could punish them. But in the commotion of laughter, he soon found himself laughing too.

--------------------

"I still can't believe you three ruined my first date with Lily," grumbled James that night.

"We had to cut you down, Prongs, you were getting too corny."

"I don't think you are much of a friend, Sirius. I bet it was your idea."

"'Course it was," said Remus and Peter together.

"And I'm not sorry either, James," said Sirius.

James huffily retired to his bed, deciding to never speak to Sirius again.

After a while, he felt Sirius ruffling his hair.

"At least someone finds his ridiculous hair good looking."

James opened his eyes and saw Sirius grinning down at him.

"I'm glad you got her after after all, mate," he said.

James decided to forgive his best friend, even if he was an annoying prat.