GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT

In the second week of June, exams were over. There was one week left for the end of the year.

Coming back from dinner one day, the Marauders came across a deserted corridor.

"Let's try the Animagus thing again," suggested James. So they sat down on a bench and tried it. Remus crossed his arms and kept watch.

"'S no good," groaned Peter, opening his eyes after about ten minutes.

"Look at him!" suddenly hissed Remus. James and Peter stared at Sirius.

Sirius had gone rigid again.

"Sirius!" cried James, alarmed now that the time had come.

Sirius was shaking.

Then came the sound of footsteps.

"Professor McGonagall!" hissed James.

"Stop him—stop him," whispered Remus in desperation. They all shook him gently.

"Sirius! Wake up—Sirius—"

Sirius jumped violently and opened his eyes.

"Did I transform?" asked Sirius eagerly.

"Well, no..."

"I was midway—y'know—I was just changing. What did you wake me up for?"

"Professor McGonagall was coming," said James.

"Oh. Ok, let's go."

--------------------

On the day before the start of the holidays, it happened.

When they were packing, they heard a bark. James, Remus and Peter whirled around so fast that they almost overbalanced.

"Sirius!" yelled James. "Is it you?"

"It can be! It can't be!" shouted Remus.

Peter almost fainted.

Beside Sirius' bed, a large black dog, about the size of a bear was standing.

The dog jumped over the bed and lunged towards James.

"SIRIUS, NO!" yelled Remus, as a photo frame on James' bedside table fell to the ground and shattered.

James turned tail and fled. Sirius chased him all over the room.

Remus covered his ears and sank onto the bed and stared in dismay as the bedroom was vandalized.

Lots of broken items and torn hangings later, James stopped, gasping painfully, but choking with laughter.

The dog suddenly changed back into Sirius, who was also roaring with laughter.

"YOU DID IT, SIRIUS, YOU DID IT!" shouted all three others.

"I can't believe it," gasped Sirius, shaking with excitement.

"You are a GENIUS!" yelled James, and it was officially the only time James admitted it.

"I am an Animagus—I am an Animagus—" said Sirius weakly, as his friends rushed over to him to slap him on the back.

"Now that we know it is possible, me and Peter will be able to do it too," said James confidently.

"Next year—for sure," said Peter in a rare burst of optimism.

Holidays began the next day.