Chapter 10 // Explanation

Cassidy

|| Four Years Prior ||

"But Joey is in Grade 12. He's obviously experienced and I'm just an innocent girl two years younger than him with a major crush on the kid," I stated with a huff, curling my knees up to my chest.

I was currently sitting on Calum's couch, with him placed directly next to me. It was our usual Friday night movie marathon, but I have resorted to talking my best friend's ear off about the boy I was absolutely smitten with. Joey had light brown hair and electric green eyes that reminded me of a lush forest. He was the captain of the basketball team and had a six pack that I drooled over, along with an exceptional sense of humor and a seat next to me in my advanced math class.

The only thing wrong with Joey was that his magnificent beauty had caused him to date a lot of girls and I was very aware that he was not a virgin, but I still was. I mean, I was nearly sixteen, so there was nothing wrong with that, but I just didn't want him to expect me to be up to par with sexual acts when I have yet to ever experience any. I was beyond nervous for our date next weekend, simply due to this sole reason.

Calum groaned, turning his head to face mine. "Cass, it's not even a big deal. It's not like he is going to force you to do anything. Joey's a good guy."

"It's not about him forcing me to do anything. I just, I don't want to disappoint him or embarrass myself in front of him. I really like him, Cal, but he's just so out of my limit and I don't want to mess this up," I rambled on, not biting back the worries from rolling off of my tongue.

Calum shot me a look, almost as if he was saying "shut up" with his eyes. I knew in the back of my mind that I should stop talking since all of this was stupid. I've never been so worried about a boy liking me before. But I was so infatuated with Joey. He was practically my celebrity crush.

My best friend wrapped his arm around me, pulling my body close to him so I could cuddle up against his own. Calum and I were in different friend groups at school; he hung out with his popular soccer playing friends and I hung out with my smart and ambitious friends. Calum was switching to a private school focused on music next year anyways, so our separate cliques weren't that big of a deal. But no matter what, we always came over to each other's houses practically every night to spend time with each other. He has been my favorite person in the entire world since I was a toddler and I can guarantee he will be for the rest of my life as well.

"I don't know what you would like me to do about this, babe. Joey is an idiot if he would stop seeing you because you're inexperienced, that isn't your fault and you are an amazing girl regardless," Calum told me, rubbing my arm gently as if he was warming me up. "And don't let him take your virginity just because you want him to like you. Do it with someone you love. Someone you trust."

"The only boy I trust is you," I said softly, giggling to myself and resting my head on his shoulder.

Calum shot straight up, his brown eyes widening in realization. "That's it! Cassie, you're a genius! We found our solution for your problem!"