Chapter 55 // Reunion

•Cassidy

"You made it!" Elizabeth cheered, running over towards me to pull me in for an awkward hug since her enormous belly was getting in the way.

I chuckled. "Yeah, I mean I had to come home. I would have felt terrible if I wasn't with you guys for Christmas," I explained, placing my palm on her stomach. "How's the baby?"

Elizabeth shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. "Good, I'm just very nervous. The due date is right around the corner and I feel like it's going to pop out really soon."

I opener my mouth to reply, but was interrupted by Anthony coming up behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist, lifting me into the air. I laughed loudly, being reminded of how often he did this when we were kids. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming home?" He yelled, although a smile was plastered over his face.

Anthony placed me back down on my feet. "It's called a surprise. Just like how this little baby shower was a complete surprise to me. Thanks for the invite, Anth," I replied sarcastically.

He rolled his eyes at me. "Hey, don't call it a baby shower. That would imply naked people or babies falling from the sky or that guys are not supposed to attend. This is a baby party!"

I laughed at his sense of humor. "Well I put my gift in the living room. I'll let you two go talk to your guests now. I probably should go see the rest of our relatives."

They nodded, both of them mirroring my expression of a big smile. They were truly one of the cutest couples and I knew they were going to be great parents. I hope someone can say that about me and whomever my future significant other is someday.

I took a seat on the couch in my brother's living room, plopping down right next to my aunt Megan and her five-year-old daughter, Avery. My aunt immediately squealed at the sight of me and pulled me in for a huge hug, which I gladly returned.

Avery climbed onto my lap, who I noticed looked completely older now and had freckles speckled over the surface of her skin. I talked to the two of them about my movie and asked them about life in Australia while I was gone.

In the midst of our conversation, my gaze travelled down the hallway in front of us which led to the front door. I noticed it opening and was intrigued to find out who was arriving late to this "baby party."

When the figure stepped into the house, I nearly dropped Avery out of my lap.

It was Calum. He was currently taking off his shoes, holding a neutral yellow gift bag in his hands, and was dressed in his typical skinny jeans despite the hot weather. My breathing became uneven and I could feel sweat about to continuously pour over my body like Niagara Falls. What on Earth was he doing here?

"Excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom," I stated rapidly, cutting my aunt off in the middle of her story. I quickly stood to my feet and sprinted into the kitchen, desperately trying to stay out of view and avoid him.

I didn't want to see Calum. I wasn't prepared at all. I was still jet-lagged from my flight and I wasn't dressed in a jaw dropping outfit that would make him drool at the sight of me like I had hoped.

I hid behind the island in the kitchen, ducking under the counter to stay out of sight. My heart was pounding against my chest so loudly that I'm certain it could be heard from miles away.

"I can't believe you made it, man!" I heard Anthony's voice cheer, which gave me the urge to kick him in the balls for his enthusiasm. He should kick him out of his house. I don't want to have to look into Calum's eyes again.

Calum's laughter echoed down the hallway. It still sounded adorable and I hated myself for even thinking something like that. "I know. It's so good to see you. Congrats on being a father, by the way."