Chapter 47 // Texts

•Cassidy

"You look absolutely exhausted," Troy pointed out with a small laugh, perching onto one of those director's chairs next to me. His brown eyes were locked on me in concern, as if he was thoroughly worried about my well-being.

I shrugged, fidgeting in my own chair. We were both waiting for hair and make-up to start, so we had some time to kill before the stylists got over here. "I am," I whined, rubbing my eyes with the back of my palm. "Calum called me really late last night because of the time difference. And then I couldn't fall back asleep."

"Ah," Troy responded quizzically. "How is the long distance relationship going?"

I shrugged my shoulders, turning my body to face him more as I crossed one of my legs over the other. "Well we're still broken up. We're just trying to stay in touch, but it's hard. He has to end calls in the middle of a conversation a lot because of band stuff. And once we actually start filming I'm not going to be able to answer as many."

The two weeks of trying this friends thing has been nice, but it was true. It was a lot harder. I loved hearing his voice fill my eardrums again, but I craved seeing him in person and feeling his arms around me.

Troy shot me an apologetic glance, stroking his chin with his fingers. "Are you guys still having good conversations though? Or is it just awkward chatter just to hear each other talk."

"A little bit of both," I admitted. The absence of reading body language made things more difficult, as well as the fact that it was harder to use sarcasm. "I don't know. Sometimes I feel like he's not listening to me, but he's busy and probably hanging out with the boys so I get it. I would never want to hold him back from his career or his friends."

"Yeah, but if he really loves you then he would be able to find a balance," Troy told me, keeping that strong eye contact with me that was so intense I had to force myself to peel my gaze away and stare at my lap. "Cass, tell me what you're so worried about. I don't like seeing you act this way."

I sighed heavily, picking away at my fingernails. "I know he loves me, I do, I'm just scared that he won't want to get back together after all this. I feel like he's going to get one taste of freedom and won't want a relationship anymore. I mean this was the whole reason he broke up with me. And I just don't want to lose him again."

Troy grasped my hand, linking our fingers together in a friendly manner, just purely out of comfort. He was a great listener, and I'm glad I was finally able to get all of this off my chest. "It's all going to work itself out. I mean, distance does make the heart grow fonder, but then again there is the whole 'out of sight, out of mind' concept. Either way, you just have to do what feels right."

I gulped. I had no idea which diverged path to choose. I could either still keep up with these phone calls to stay in touch and feel sad afterwards that everything was changing, or I could stop talking to him and let us both focus on our careers as we planned and be sad that he was out of my life. Both of the choices came with heartache. So maybe I would just wait and let Calum decide.

"Thank you," I mumbled, resting my head on his toned shoulder. His navy blue shirt reeked of cologne, and with every inhale I took my nostrils filled with the musky scent. "I'll let you know how this all goes."

"In the meantime," Troy started in a peppy tone, as opposed to the serious one he was previously using. "Would you want to go do something this weekend to take your mind off things? I miss seeing my happy Cassie. I think what you need is to have some fun!"

I smiled. Troy and I always hang out a lot while we're filming, since he was my closest friend on set and we would always just always have a blast together. Maybe I really did need to go on one of our famous outings to boost my spirits again. "Okay. Let's do it."