Chapter 22 // Awkward

•Calum

This was actually happening. Cassidy Gold was actually kissing me, voluntarily. The same Cassidy Gold that despised me only a few weeks ago now had her lips pressed against mine, causing cheesy butterflies to flutter throughout my stomach.

Her lips were so perfectly soft that if I made a sweater out of her kisses I'm sure it would be the coziest article of clothing in the universe. I would probably wear that sweater every single day because I never wanted this feeling I got when we were making out to disappear.

But it did.

Cassidy finally pulled away after minutes- that felt like hours- of kissing. I couldn't help but grin the biggest grin known to man when my eyes opened and spotted her beautiful face only inches away from my own.

"I guess you liked your present?" I teased, letting out a little laugh.

"Shut up," Cassidy responded, giggling as her hand reached up to pull on the back of my neck so she could kiss me again.

This time it was just a small peck, and after our lips had connected she almost instantly retreated. Her eyes widened afterwards and she quickly took a step back away from me. Her sudden change in mood was confusing, but I didn't want to press the subject. "Um, I think I'm going to go lay down."

My bubbly smile faltered. I wasn't sure what I was expecting to happen after we were making out for an eternity, but I sure did not picture her making excuses to get away from me. "Do you want to eat some cake first?" I tried, nudging my head towards the birthday cake I had ordered for her.

Cass shook her head, not making eye contact with me. "I'm not very hungry. I'm sorry."

She started to scurry off towards the bedroom, her cute little feet shuffling against the carpet, making disappointment creep into my veins. "Cass. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I'm just really tired."

I could easily see through her lies, which aggravated me that she didn't think that I knew her well enough to know when she wasn't being truthful. "Cass, I know you're lying," I called out to her.

She sighed. "Cal, can you just leave me alone for a little bit?"

I didn't want to leave her alone. I wanted to spend time with her, and maybe kiss her again. Jesus, my crush on Cassidy was getting out of hand.

"Can you please tell me what's going on first?" I asked in a lighter tone, approaching her as she stood in the doorway to our bedroom.

"I just need to think," She mumbled, slowly closing the door shut with a worried expression covering her face.

I stood outside of the room for a bit, rocking from my heels to my tippy-toes as I became antsy. I wanted to burst open the door and kiss her again and make that feeling of utter exhilaration reach every muscle of my body, but I knew she needed her space for whatever reason. I had to respect that, at least for a little while, even though it was killing me that she wasn't explaining what her sudden alteration was.

I settled in the sofa in the living room, turning the TV on and mindlessly flipping channels. My eyes started to droop as the boredom kicked in again. I thought about going over to see the guys, but I didn't want to leave Cassidy in case she recovered from her mood in the near future. I also didn't want to see Luke, because I was mad that he had dumped her like it was nothing. However, I couldn't be happier that he did.

I wanted Cassidy to be my girlfriend. And with Luke out of the picture this desire could finally become a reality. I've never even had an actual girlfriend before, but it only makes sense that she is mine. She's my best friend and I happen to have a giant crush on her, isn't that what relationships are all about? We'd be the perfect couple. I'm hoping that when she comes out of the room she'll have similar ideas as me.