Chapter 35 // Wisdom Teeth

•Calum

I have been in the waiting room for hours, nervously drumming my fingers against my thigh to keep myself slightly entertained. I could barely get any service down here, and I was debating on whether or not I should just leave the dentist and come back in another hour.

But then they called my name.

I quickly stood to my feet, following the woman who was dressed in ugly green scrubs. She led me over to a recovery type room, where Cassidy was lying on one of those beds you would find in the nurse's office at school.

Her mouth was swollen and there was gauze inside of it, along with an icepack that she was holding against her face. "Calum!" Cassidy yelled excitedly once she caught a sight of me, and she eagerly tried to sit up.

"No, honey," The dental assistant said softly, placing her hand on her shoulder and gently pushing her back on the bed. "You need to rest. Okay, Cassidy?"

She nodded her head in a weird manner, as if she had lost the ability to control her body. "Look how hot he is though," Cassidy mumbled through the gauze in her mouth, making her words slur and sound muffled.

I laughed at her, but the woman glared at me instantly, which made my smile curve back down to a straight face. "She's on a lot of medication right now and will be in a lot of pain. Make sure she takes the pills we've provided and make sure she keeps icing her face to keep the swelling down. She won't be able to eat for a little while. If you have any questions please give us a call."

"Okay," I answered breathlessly, feeling overwhelmed by how much information was being lashed out at me.

"Alright, come on, Cassidy. We're going to sit up nice and slow," The woman urged, placing Cassidy's arm around her shoulder to assist her in standing up. Cassidy was wobbly and she clutched onto me tightly. "Do you have her?"

"Yes," I assured the dental assistant, whose name I didn't even bother to learn. I swung Cassidy's arm around my shoulder, mimicking the woman's actions, and slowly began to walk down the hall and towards the exit. "How do you feel, Cass?"

"I feel like a woolly mammoth who just gave birth to a sea urchin," Cassidy murmured incoherently, her face giving off no expression.

I couldn't stop myself from giggling at her as I carefully placed her into the car. I buckled her up into the seat, since she was still holding onto the ice pack and was too delirious to even move.

Cassidy pressed her face against the window. "Let me out! Call the police! They just stole my teeth!"

"It's okay, baby. The police are already on their way to stop those thieves," I assured her, because I didn't want her to have a nervous meltdown. I might as well just go along with what she was saying rather than try to fight it.

Cassidy let out a sigh of relief as she slumped down against the passenger seat, her mouth hanging open with the disgusting gauze now on full display. I turned my attention to the road as I pulled out of the parking lot, eager to get her back home.

"Calum?" Cassidy asked, tilting her head to the side. I was sneaking glances to look at her while driving now, just to make sure she wasn't touching her mouth. "Can we get food?"

I grimaced. "No, you won't be able to eat for a little while. I'm sorry. But when you can eat I will get you a nice ice cream or something."

"This is bullshit!" She screamed, then clutched onto her jaw in pain due to how much pressure the yelling had put on her mouth. "Ow, ow, ow!"

"You're okay, baby. We'll be home soon. Try not to talk as much and maybe it won't hurt as badly," I stated as an attempt to calm her down. I placed my hand on her thigh, rubbing it gently to soothe her.