Chapter 43 // Water

•Cassidy

Another gust of wind swept over me from the open window, letting me smell the familiar salty scent of the ocean. It was ridiculously hot outside tonight, which resulted in me sleeping on the couch in the living room instead of our bedroom which was sweltering and had a temperature that was equivalent to Hell.

Calum has barely been home the past few days due to tour rehearsals, which I completely understood, but it has left me staying up late every night just waiting to see him and spend some time together. I was disappointed that we've barely been together at all, and now we only had two days left before he went on tour and I was stuck here filming my movie.

The slamming of the front door caused me to jump in fright. I swiveled my head around, viewing Calum stomp through the kitchen and chuck his keys onto the counter, muttering words under his breath.

"Hey, you okay?" I called out cautiously, making him look up and make eye contact with me.

He walked over to the couch, slumping down into the sofa with an exasperated sigh escaping his mouth. "It's been a long day. I'm just really stressed out right now."

"Do you want to do something to get your mind off things?" I suggested, attempting to be both seductive and casual and just praying he got the hint.

Calum stared at me in complete disgust. "Are you kidding me? No, I don't. I'm not in the mood," He stated harshly, clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth.

"I just thought we could because it's our second to last night together," I replied innocently, shrugging my shoulders. Calum didn't reply, instead he just took his phone out and replied to a new message. "Do you want to do something else? Like, watch a movie? Or we could go swim in the ocean for once?"

Calum sighed again, but it sounded more of an irritated growl. "No, I'm just going to go to bed. I'm so tired."

"I haven't seen you at all day, though," I said, trying to stay calm and give him his basic needs of life even though my heart was shattering from his lack of interest in me. He used to always come home from the studio with tons of stories to tell, but today it was completely different.

Calum stood up from the couch. "Get used to it," He mumbled, making a beeline for the bedroom.

My jaw dropped at his insensitive words. It was completely unlike Calum. And I did not like this side of him one bit.

I picked up a pillow and hugged it against my chest as if it would provide the comfort I wasn't even be able to receive from my own boyfriend. My boyfriend who I wouldn't be able to see for months and who didn't seem to care.

I pushed myself up off of the couch as the heat became unbearable, and headed towards the back porch to get a breath of fresh air. The air conditioning must be broken or something.

The waves were continuously crashing against the beach in a languid motion, soothing my brain of its swarming thoughts. I tried to focus on inspecting the way the water absorbed into the sand, making it a darker shade than the dry sand that was closer to the deck, and how it made the little shells appear to glimmer. I just wanted to concentrate on anything other than this current situation.

I walked closer towards the ocean, finally sitting down on the sand and stretching my legs out so my feet would reach the water. A wave crashed over my feet, which truly helped cool me down. However, mentally, I was still mad, and a tear slowly trickled down my face.

I wasn't sure if I was mad at Calum for his comment or if I was mad that I actually wouldn't be able to see his face everyday. I still have not come to terms with that. I don't want to think of how tortorus it's going to be only getting to hear his voice over phone calls and only seeing him through a screen. But I guess that was better nothing, and it's something we're just going to have to get through together.