Chapter 56 // There

•Calum

Cassidy may be a brilliant actress, but I am not. I couldn't act like I wasn't still in love with her. Because I was. Damn, I really was.

We broke up because of valid reasons, yes, and maybe the break up was good for the two of us in some senses. But seeing her sit on the couch next to me, as the light from the large window was a spotlight on her beautifully crafted face as she spoke so politely to her family, made me question my brain capacity for ever thinking that letting her go was a good idea.

I was still in awe that she was even in my presence. I haven't heard her voice or seen her face in months, and to have Cassidy placed right next to me felt like a twisted dream. I had the urge to touch her, not even in a sexual way, but just to feel that her body was truly not a figment of my own imagination.

My hand kept brushing against hers as we engaged in conversation with her family members who were all so eager to hear about our "fascinating" lives. Her hand never retreated, which was a good sign. I would have initially expected her to slap it away. I'm glad her anger towards me was starting to fade away, because the blush on my cheeks from our simple touch wouldn't be fading anytime soon.

Oh my God. I was turning into such a sap.

I couldn't stop myself though. I felt like I had fallen head over heels all over again. I wanted her back in my arms again so badly. I wanted everything back to the way it was before the two of us made both of our mistakes. Cassidy seems to have moved on from it all, or maybe she is using her acting skills to pretend like she's over it for the sake of the two of us. Whatever the case may be, I was determined to get my girlfriend back.

I stretched my arm out and rested it behind her on the top of the sofa. Cassidy still remained talking to one of her cousins and didn't even notice my attempt at moving closer towards her.

I sucked in a deep breath before slowly resting my head on her shoulder. This instantly got her attention, and she looked down at me in concern. "I'm so jetlagged," I whined, watching her face soften. I lifted my head up and moved it closer to her ear, letting my lips daringly skim over the surface of her ear. "I think I'm gonna head out and get some rest. It was good seeing you."

Her eyebrows furred together once I rose to my feet. Cassidy grasped my forearm, igniting that same firery feeling I got from our physical contact. "Wait. We didn't even have dessert yet."

I kept walking through the crowd of people that were all talking among themselves in Anthony's living room. Luckily, she followed right behind me.

Once we got back into the empty kitchen, I leaned back against the counter, shrugging my shoulders nonchalantly. "I want to stay, but I have to get ready for tonight anyways."

She stood in front of me, closing her parted lips. If this was like the old days I would have grabbed her hips right now and pressed her body against my own. Cassidy tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "Oh," She replied softly, sounding a little disappointed. "What are you, um, what are you doing tonight?"

"The boys and I are all going over to Ashton's house to exchange our Christmas presents," I explained, giving her a small smile. "You should come to Ash's with me. That way you can see everybody again."

Her face lit up immediately. "Oh my God, they're in Australia right now too?" Cassidy exclaimed, then proceeded to answer her own question. "Oh right. I always forget that they live here too since we went to different schools. Well yeah, I'd love to see the band again! I miss them all so much."

She was so adorable. "Wow, Cass. You seem more excited to see them than you were for me," I teased, trying to play off my jealousy as a joke.

Cassidy frowned, her lips that I have been aching to kiss now curled downwards. "Calum, you know that's a completely different situation."