Chapter 24 // Australia

•Calum

As soon as we got situated in our fancy first class seats, I leaned my head back against the pillow propped underneath and shut my eyes. I always got the best sleep when I was on an airplane, especially a flight that is as ridiculously long as this one.

Cassidy gasped loudly. "What are you doing? You can't go to sleep now! We are just about to take off!"

I lazily smiled at her bewildered exclaims. "And your point is?"

"How can you fall asleep during the worst part of the entire flight?" She practically yelled, her face looking incredibly shocked.

I poked her side with my pointer finger to tease her, since this was becoming incredibly amusing to me. "Aw, it's not that bad, Cassie. It's just like a roller coaster."

"And who the hell sleeps on a roller coaster?" She sneered, her jaw clenching together as the flight attendants made the announcement that we would be preparing to take off soon.

"Is little baby Cassidy scared of the big bad airplane?" I cooed in my best impression of a toddler voice. Cassidy kept her gaze on the seat in front of us with her lips pursed, refusing to even glance over at me beaming at her. "Aw, baby. You're adorable."

She elbowed me in the chest, making a bubble of laughter escape my lips. "Shut up," Cassidy hissed, although I could see a faint grin lying on her mouth. "You used to be scared of Goofy from Mickey Mouse when you were a kid!"

"It was a dog that acted like a human! But Pluto was a dog too and did he freaking walk on two legs? No! You can't even deny that that's scary," I complained, soundly getting overly defensive. She just giggled her cute little giggle, and my anger faded away. "Aren't you used to flying by now? You have to fly all the time."

The plane began to speed down the runway and she squealed with fright, instantly picking up my hand and intertwining our fingers together. I squeezed it tightly, initiating another flutter of butterflies to appear in my stomach. "It's okay, Cass. I got you."

Her green eyes that I found to be the most beautiful sparkling gems in the world were completely shut, along with her mouth that was clamped together. I rubbed my thumb along her hand carefully as the speed progressed even further until the wheels on the plane were no longer touching the ground.

She let out a sigh of relief, smiling at me in a casual manner. "I'm fine now. I just don't like the beginning," Cassidy explained in her usual peppy tone, leaning over me to look out of the window. "Look how pretty LA looks from the sky."

"Not as pretty as you," I retorted in a sing-song tone.

Cassidy pretended to gag. "That was so cheesy and weird. Never do that again, Cal."

I chuckled. She had almost the same sense of humor as me, which was the main reason the two of us had become such good friends as children. But now it just made me like her even more.

I studied her face carefully, watching her eyes light up as she continued to inspect every detail of the city we were hovering above until we would finally reach the clouds. The sunlight shining in from the window illuminated her entire face, making her cheekbones seem to shimmer and her skin to glow from the reflection. I can't believe I used to ever look at this face with annoyance, because right now all I can think about is kissing her.

"Can we go make-out in the bathroom?" I suggested, making her eyebrows knit together in confusion. "Maybe we can join the mile-high club."

She rolled her eyes at me, letting out a little snort of laughter. "The seat-belt light is still on, Calum."