Chapter 4 // Toothpaste

*Calum

My best friend retreated back towards the rest of us, his lanky body slumping into the empty space on the sofa next to Michael. Luke had a giddy grin etched across his features and his radiation of happiness irritated me. "Hey loverboy. How did the suck up enjoy washing those dishes?" Ashton teased, giggling at his own words.

Luke just smiled even wider. "Well she enjoyed it a lot considering Cassidy and I are going on a date very soon."

My jaw dropped slightly with my eyes bugging out of my head. I was completely baffled. The Cassidy I knew would have never accepted a date with a boy so quickly. She was always incredibly awkward around guys and would complain about how her crushes never knew she existed. But they did. They all did.

"Really? Oh my God, you're the man! Do you think she'll let you touch her boobs? She has such a nice rack," Michael rambled, then proceeded to use his hands to draw the exaggerated outline of her breasts in the air.

I involuntarily glared at him. It was so shocking to see my friends so obsessed with her when she was one of the most annoying people on the planet with a terrible habit of holding grudges. Sure, Cassidy may be very pretty now, but she didn't always used to look like that and their glorification of my old friend and current roommate was both disgusting and incomprehensible.

I zoned out from listening to the three of them converse about just how fantastic Cassidy was and soon enough they were piling out of the door as they claimed it was nearly night-time and they didn't want to intrude on my first night in my new home. My begging to let them stay and sleepover here had ultimately failed and my stomach tied in a knot as the nerves of how this whole roommate thing was going to go.

My feet waddled against the plush carpet to the sole bathroom to brush my teeth before bed, and I was thoroughly surprised to see Cassidy already in there with some ridiculous face mask applied on the surface of her sun-kissed skin. She screeched at the sight of me. "Were you raised in a barn? Oh my God! It's not that difficult to knock."

"You know where I was raised, Cass," I shot back, lifting my tooth brush out of its holder and running it under the sink. The counter top had already been taken over by a variety of useless products that all seemed completely foreign to me.

"Please just knock next time. I could have been changing my tampon or something," She said in a lighter tone than the previous harsh one.

I cringed at the mention of those feminine weapons of mass destruction and lifted the toothbrush to my teeth, carefully pressing the bristles over every inch of the pearly whites. "Ew. Don't talk about your lower region bleeding around me."

"What are roommates for," She sang, still continuing to examine her green face in the mirror as if she had to find some sort of treasure at a scavenger hunt. I just kept swirling the brush around in my mouth while silently watching her, and feeling the build up of my saliva and the minty taste. I needed to spit.

When I went to spit out the toothpaste, Cassidy ducked her head to rinse the mask off her face only seconds before, causing my spit to land on the back of her neck. Cassidy instantly screamed and I couldn't bite back my hysterical laughter. "Calum! You're disgusting!" She shrieked, slapping my arm with force.