Chapter 46 // Step

•Calum

I felt a rush of adrenaline flow through my veins as I made my way over to the boys to have our post-show bow. The audience was screaming so loud that I couldn't even hear myself think, and the sound echoed due to the acoustics in the arena. Flashing lights from their phones probably illuminated the sweat that I was currently dripping in.

I pressed my palms to my lips before waving to everyone. It was such an emotional moment for me. I will never get over how my quickly my life has changed, and how lucky I am to be able to live my dream every single night.

"We're 5 Seconds of Summer, you're an amazing crowd, thank you so much!" Ashton called one last time into the microphone before we dashed off of the stage, careful not to slip on anything people have thrown up there.

"That was such a great show!" I cheered once we were backstage, jumping up and down happily. I played great, opposed to what I thought would happen. God, I wish Cassidy was here to see that.

Cassidy. Shit, even thinking of her made my mood change completely. I could physically feel the ecstatic smile that I was sporting a few seconds ago wash off of my face in seconds, and my shoulders slugged downwards with a huff.

"Alright, so let's all hit the showers and get ready to go out and celebrate!" Michael yelled, clapping his hands together with aggressive excitement.

I was suddenly not in the mood to party anymore. I had this churning feeling eating away at my stomach, and all I wanted to do was listen to sad music.

My body sunk down onto the leather couch in the dressing room, making my band's eyes go wide. I used to always be the one to pester everyone else about going out, but now it was me that they would have to convince.

"Cal, aren't you going to take a shower?" Luke asked in a kindhearted tone, with his blonde eyebrows creased together in concern.

I shrugged, taking out my phone and hoping to see a message from Cassidy, but only being faced with an empty notification bar. "I don't really feel like it. The jet-lag is really getting to me. I just want to sleep."

"But it's our first show on the tour. We have to celebrate," Michael insisted, although he was speaking to me in a laid-back manner and wasn't necessarily pressuring me to leave.

I pursed my lips together. "I'm sorry. I promise I'll go out next time. You guys can go ahead though."

The three of them all shared a look before nodding their heads cautiously. They travelled towards the showers to freshen up, leaving me all alone in the dressing room with just my phone and my thoughts.

I was completely contradicting myself. I wanted to break up with her so I would be able to party and hang out with my best friends without any worries, but here I am, worrying. I can't even go a second without wondering what she is up to or how she feels or if she hates me or if she misses me as much as I miss her.

This not talking thing was supposed to benefit me, but it ended up just killing me inside. However, the pain is even worse when we do talk and I hear her voice start to crack as she gets all choked up. Plus, fighting with her just makes me want to rip all of my hair out. So maybe the not talking thing was a good thing, in some aspects, but I just didn't have enough self control to stay away from her.

My fingers pressed a few buttons on my phone, and sure enough I was calling Cassidy again, for the second time in one day, even though I have done a good job of completely ignoring her the last few. My streak was over. I was officially whipped. And quite frankly, I was actually okay with that.