Chapter 18 // Tired

•Calum

"So Cass told me that her nineteenth birthday is like this Friday," Luke stated as he threw another handful of M&M's into his mouth. "Did you get her a present yet?"

I sat up straight, since I had previously been laying on the floor in the boys' living room while the four of us just hung out and did our usual crap together. I missed being with them every second of the day. A part of me felt disconnected, for a lack of a better word, from the band since I was living like twenty minutes away from them and it was a hassle to travel there every morning.

"Not yet," I answered, scooping up some of the chocolate candy out of his bag and plopping them in my mouth as well. I remembered that Cassidy's birthday was coming up but I had no clue what that girl even needed or wanted.

"Maybe you'll get lucky and Cassidy will give you the present," Michael suggested cheekily, wiggling his eyebrows at Luke and poking him in his side. He started to sing that old Birthday Sex song that used to be on the radio.

I rolled my eyes at them, trying not to look uncomfortable about this subject.

"I sure hope so," Luke agreed, smiling widely with his cheeks flushed pinker than normal. "It's so weird how we haven't hooked up yet. Like this is the longest I've had to wait, especially since we already know we both like each other."

A knot began to grow in my stomach as my desire to get myself out of this situation increased. He didn't know Cassidy like I did, and he didn't know about her cautious behavior around guys or the fact that she had morals that she clung to.

"You shouldn't have sex unless you love each other, not like each other," I blurted out, not being able to bite back the words from escaping my mouth.

The laughter halted instantly, and all of their eyes shot to me in complete and utter shock. "What the Hell? Calum, are you okay?"

I shrugged. "Yeah. I just genuinely think you should wait until you guys are both in love. That's the way it should be."

"You're such a hypocrite," Ashton said with a chuckle. "You weren't in love with Reagan, or with Sophie, or with Marissa or with-"

"Alright, alright," I cut him off before he could blab on about all of the girls I did the deed with while were on tour. "Just because I may not listen to my own advice doesn't mean it's not true. Cassidy isn't some random girl. She's a successful girl with her own career that doesn't need to sleep with someone famous to get famous, so she actually has feelings unlike those other girls who are just in it for the fame. I just don't want her to get hurt, okay? Especially because that puts me in a weird position."

Luke just shook his head at me in disbelief. "Okay, whatever. Well I'm going over to hang out with Cass right now. I promise I'm not going to hurt her so don't get all pissy, it's weirding me out."

"Aren't we going to the studio to write today, though?" I asked, suddenly feeling disappointed in the fact that he was skipping our session today to go visit my best girl friend. Maybe it was because I was acting strange, but I was so protective over her that I couldn't help it.