Chapter 57 // Broke

•Cassidy

I was actually really glad that Calum came with me. The two of us sat outside of Elizabeth's hospital room, waiting for my mother to give us orders for food or to tell us to find the doctor. Elizabeth was doing okay, but since there were some complications and the baby was sort of premature, they had to do an emergency c-section. And it was nice to have Calum's hand to hold during all of that.

We had been talking for hours. It surprisingly wasn't awkward at all. It felt just like our old conversations. He told me all about the tour and some funny stories and I told him all about the movie and how I had spent a lot of time getting into all sorts of mischief with Bree.

It was really, really, really nice to talk to him again.

"How much longer do you think this is going to take? I'm starting to get tired," I whined, leaning my head onto his shoulder as a yawn escaped my mouth.

His arm wrapped around me and pulled my body, that was leaning against the hospital wall, against him. I ended up fidgeting around until I could get comfortable, resulting in me resting my head on his lap.

Calum gasped suddenly, then carefully scooped my head up and scooted it down closer to his knees and away from his crotch. "Okay, that's better," He stated, making me giggle.

His hands combed through my hair, making my eyelids flutter shut. His fingers skimmed over my scalp, massaging it gently, before playing with my hair again. "It's past midnight now, Cass. Merry Christmas Eve."

I smiled. "Merry Christmas Eve to you too, Cal. Too bad I'm probably going to be stuck in the hospital for all of it."

"You should come to my house. My mum is throwing a party with all of my family and her friends. I'm going to be bored out of my mind," Calum suggested.

I laughed quietly. "Talking about how boring it is going to be really isn't making me want to come," I joked, which made his wonderful laughter echo through the empty hallway. "But I'm sure it'll be better than being stuck here. It's just, um, we've been spending a lot of time together already."

Calum paused. "Well, yeah. We have to make up for lost time. I mean, we are friends, right? You think hanging out again is nice too, right?"

He seemed shaky and incredibly insecure on the topic. I was a little cautious about it all too. "Of course, Cal. I just- it's weird to get used to after not seeing you for so long. Like is this how exes are supposed to act? Or are we doing something wrong?"

I sat up again so I could have a view of his face. He glanced at me through the corner of his eyes, his jaw clenched together tightly, while a small smile danced on his lips. "Cassie, you know very well that we don't have a typical relationship," Calum said with a quiet chuckle. "Look, I was a dick to you before and I'm so sorry for that. Now that we aren't fighting, I just want to keep it that way and start over. We were best friends before and we can still be best friends now. It doesn't have to be weird."

The friends thing would never work out. Not after we had so much history together. I could barely look into his eyes for a few seconds without having the urge to grab his face and kiss him. I wanted us to be on good terms because having him in my life again was more important than a relationship, but I didn't know how much longer I could pretend that a part of me would always be in love with him.

I gulped, feeling myself inhale a deep breath before I blurted out what has really been bothering me. "Are we going to be able to be just friends though?"

Calum's gaze returned to his hands, a nervous response of his. He chewed on the top of his bottom lip. "I think we can do it," Calum mumbled, which I had to admit was disappointing. "Unless, um. Do you still have feelings for me?"