Chapter 36

I woke up next to Xavier, my phone was ringing. I hesitated to grab it, what if it was my dad?

Glancing at the caller ID, I saw it was Will. I relaxed and answered it.

“Hey.” I said, yawning. My voice was a bit hoarse and I winced, knowing it was from the crying.

“Couldn’t sleep much, mind if I come over now?” he sounded exhausted.

“That’s fi-“ I started to say when Xavier groaned.

“Oh my god, Rain. Its 7 in the fucking morning, hang up the damn phone.” He groaned, throwing a pillow at me.

“What the hell is Xavier doing with you?” Will snapped.

“He-I…” I sighed, not wanting to talk about this over the phone. “Shit, I’ll explain when you get here.”

“Is he fucking sleeping in your room?” he asked, getting angry.

“Will, its not like that at all.” I replied. “Come over and I’ll explain.”

“Fine.” He snapped and hung up.

“Damn it.” I rubbed my eyes.

Xavier sat up. “Will figured out I’m in your room, didn’t he?”

“Yup.” I stood up. “I’m going out front to wait for him because I’m pretty sure this will involve yelling.”

“Sorry.” He said, sheepishly.

He went to his room and I went outside in sweatpants and a t shirt.

A few minutes later, the jeep came rolling up. Will got out, looking incredibly pissed and tired. His eyes softened a bit when he saw my red eyes and nose from crying.

“Please explain before I go punch him in the face.” Will said. He wasn’t yelling because I had been crying.

“The nightmares have been worse the past two nights. Friday night, I woke up screaming but I muffled it with my pillow. Xavier ran in, thinking my father was here but when he realized it was just a nightmare he comforted me and fell asleep. Last night, I woke up sobbing and I asked him to stay with me when he ran in.”

“Well fuck, I didn’t know they were that bad when you woke up.” He sighed. “But you should be calling me, not going to my little brother.”

“I’d feel weak.” I admitted. “Just calling you and waking you up so that I could sob into the phone. Besides, its not physical contact, it wouldn’t be the same.”

“I wonder if I could talk my mom into letting me stay over during the week and you and I go to my apartment on weekends.” He thought. “I got literally no sleep last night.”

“We can ask.” I nodded. “Can we go inside? Its freezing out here.”

We went inside and upstairs to my room to go to sleep.

Will held me close and I relaxed, I felt safe. I felt loved. He seemed to relax a bit as well.

“I love you.” I whispered.

“Love you too.” He kissed the top of my head and I drifted to sleep.

I had the same dream as last night but this time Will woke me up before my father had killed everyone.

“Shh, its okay, angel.” He murmured as I sobbed into his chest.

After a few minutes, I had calmed down a bit. He lifted my chin, making me look into his eyes. His thumb brushed away the remaining tears.