Chapter 29

just a filler chapter

The next day at lunch time, Dani and I went to Will’s room to eat. He had asked that we eat with him so that he can see I am eating. Dani was in full agreement with this plan and I was for the most part. I just didn’t want to have to eat a lot. But I would get to see Will more.

“Hey, Will.” I said as Dani shut the door behind her. He was shuffling through papers in his office.

“Hey.” He got up and gestured for us to grab a desk. He came out with his lunch which was a roast beef sandwich with lettuce and tomato, a bag of chips, a peach and a water bottle.

I had an apple, a granola bar and a water bottle. Will saw this and shook his head at me.

“Mind if I pick out some music?” Dani asked, eyeing his CDs.

“Go for it.” He replied easily.

When she got up, Will gave me half of his sandwich.

“I’m fine.” I said. I didn’t want to take his lunch, that was hardly fair to him.

“Rainah,” he groaned. His eyes told me that this was not an option.

I didn’t want to argue so I took it and had small bites.

I tried not to think about the carbs the bread had and the fat from the meat. I tried not to think about how hard it seemed to swallow. I tried not to think about the amount of food going into my stomach.

Instead, I tried to focus on Dani, trying to guess the music she would select. I was guessing something rock or alternative but I wasn’t sure what exactly.

When the music started I honestly had no idea who it was, I could tell it was rock though.

“Bon Jovi,” Will nodded approvingly when she returned. “I figured you would pick something like that.”

“How’d you know?” Dani asked curiously as she started to eat.

“Sometimes I can have an idea of someones taste by their personality or attitude. You seem like a rock person but you don’t like mainstream stuff, correct?”

“Yeah, I can’t stand some newer stuff, it’s all noise.”

Will laughed. “You sound like a old person.”

“Rude.” She said. “Ray, he’s being mean.”

“Sorry, Dan.” I grinned at her as I finished the sandwich.

“You’re no help.” She pouted, throwing a pretzel at me.

We spent the remainder of lunch joking around or talking about music. When the bell rung, Dani left and Will turned to me.

“Text me if Liz gets too bad.” He said before going into his teacher mode where he had to view me as just another student.

I had almost forgotten that I had to work with her today. Hopefully our group would be productive today now that we had a song.

Will gathered to class in the room until the hall cleared, then he and the guys left.

Stacy had printed out lyric sheets for everyone.

“Today we should probably work on harmonizing for the chorus and maybe assigning solos.” Michelle suggested from her seat next to me.

We divided up and ran through it a few times easily, it wasn’t too difficult. So unfortunately, there was plenty of time for solos. I knew this part would cause plenty of arguments because some of these girls wanted to be the center of attention.