Chapter 1

I ran into my high school and went straight to the office to sign in and get my schedule. I was late. I normally wouldn’t mind as much, but it’s the first day of my senior year. I wanted to make a good impression.

Why was I late you ask? Long story short, I had to walk my youngest sister to the elementary school. My mother was too sore to do it this morning, but then again, so was I.

I guess now is a good time as any to introduce my family. Lily is the youngest, she is 8 years old going into 3rd grade. She has curly red hair and hazel eyes, like my mother. Sky is next, she is 13 and in 7th grade. She had wavy light brown hair and dark green eyes. I had a twin brother named Ash but he died, protecting me. He and I were identical, straight black hair and crystal blue eyes. I miss him so much it hurts. My mother is an older version of Lily, she is 43.

Then there is him…my father. I hate him. To me, he is not my father because of the things he does. He has grey hair and sinister black eyes. He is 52. He is only home a couple times a week, but when he is, home becomes a living hell.

“Tardy already, Miss. Carson?” the bitch secretary asked rudely. She was an old lady with white hair and glasses falling off her face. I just nodded, not wanting to start anything. She sighed and gave me my schedule. I walked out of the office to get away from her before I checked it out.

I had Calculus, English, Chemistry, a double period of music and Gym. I groaned, everything sounded terrible except double music.

I went to my Calc class and sat by the window next to a pretty girl with long brown hair pulled into a ponytail, the only seat left due to my lateness. I didn’t mind though, I had all but one friend any way.

On instinct, I looked down at myself. I had on a large blue sweatshirt and black yoga pants. I always wore loose clothes to hide my fat, ugly figure along with bruises from my dad and cuts from myself. I’m trying to lose weight, despite what the doctor said.

Last year, I was diagnosed with anorexia. When I look in the mirror all I see is fat. When I look at other girls, I see their perfection. I want to be like them.

The first three classes passed quickly considering we were only going over policies and procedures. It was now my lunch break. Great.

I only really go to lunch to see my friend Dani. She dyed her hair black with streaks of blue; it complimented her bright, lively green eyes. She was a very artsy person.

I scanned the crowd and found her sitting alone, waving wildly at me.

“RAINAH!!” she shrieked.

I grinned at her and ran over, she met me halfway and gave me a bone-crushing hug. I yelped from my bruises, she noticed and pulled back.

“He was home last night?” she asked gently. She knew everything about me, about my dad and the anorexia.

“Yeah.” I sighed.

She frowned before grabbing my hand and dragging me to the girls’ bathroom. She led me into one of the stalls and locked the door. This was normal for Dani, this was, as she called it, damage control.

“Let me see.” She said. I lifted off my sweatshirt. I knew I could trust Dani more then anyone else here. She inhaled sharply as she saw the blotches of purple on my back and stomach. “Rainah.” she trailed off.

“No, Dani. Absolutely not.” I said. I knew she wanted me to get help, but the idea of someone getting involved with my family scared me. Besides, I could endure pain. The bruises only hurt the first day.

            She just sighed and let me put my sweatshirt back on.

            We walked out and, as usual, things were back to normal. She tried to get me to eat so I ate an apple to please her. When lunch break ended, she went to double art and I went to music. We thankfully had Gym together.