Chapter 23

sorry for the wait! i feel awful about it!

***RAINAH’S POV***

I went into the room and found Lily, crying on the bed. Sky sat next to her, trying to soothe her.

Sky got up when I entered and walked over to me.

“You should tell her about mom.” She whispered.

“That’ll crush her.” I replied, looking at her crying.

“Well, would you rather her be mad at you or mom?” Sky asked gently. she knew the answer, she just wanted me to realize it.

I knew this would be hard on Lily. She had been fairly close to mom when Ash died because I wasn’t myself at that time. I didn’t want her to think something horrible was going to happen to Sky and I and she’d be alone.

“I’ll step out.” Sky said after she gave me a hug.

I took a deep breath and sat next to Lily where Sky had been.

“I’m sorry I yelled at you.” I started, brushing some of her red curls out of her face.

“Why did you?” she swatted my hand away.

“Because I’m mad at mom.” I said. Before she could ask why, I answered. “I called her the morning after Will took us here. She left us because she couldn’t stand dad anymore.”

“Why didn’t she take us?” Lily asked quietly.

I looked into her big, innocent eyes and debated not telling her, but I knew it was best if I did.

“She didn’t want to.”

Lily hugged me and sobbed. I held her, stroking her hair. I kept saying “I’m sorry, sweetheart” and “It’s alright, shh” in attempts to soothe her. I knew though that there wasn’t much I could do other than be there for her. I couldn’t bring mom back, I couldn’t make her want to come back.

Lily quieted after a bit, she still was clinging to me. “I thought she loved us.” She whispered brokenly. The voice just made me want to cry but I needed to stay strong. “I thought she loved me, Rain.”

“She is just confused right now so she is focusing on herself. We need to focus on each other.” I told her. “Know this, I love you and Sky loves you. You are loved.”

She just sniffled but said nothing. I held her for awhile, hoping she’d move on from this soon.

“I want you to get some rest and I’ll wake you for dinner, alright?” I said, kissing her forehead.

“Okay.” She replied quietly as I got up.

I turned off the light and gently shut the door behind me.

Sky and Will sat on the couch. Sky had been reading and Will was on his laptop. They both looked up when I came out.

“How did it go?” Sky asked.

“I’m letting her rest until dinner.” I said, rubbing my eyes.

She nodded, understanding that that meant it wasn’t good.

Will just watched me, examining my expression. I tried to smile at him. He shook his head at me and stood up.

“Come with me.” He came over, grabbed my hand and led me into his bedroom. Once we entered, he shut the door.

“What’s up?” I asked him, sitting on the bed.

He sat next to me in the center of the bed, he pulled me to him so that I sat on his lap.