Chapter 57

***WILL’S POV***

Rainah only spent a day and a half in intensive care. She was quickly moved into a larger room that had more space, more chairs and it’s own bathroom.

She was still on IV’s, monitors and, when she slept, the oxygen mask.

Her first four days were spent with everyone visiting her including the girls, Dani, Shane and two girls from the treatment center.

I spent as much time as I could with her. We didn’t talk much but neither of us could relax without the other there. I needed to see her or I panicked, it was the same for her.

Sometimes, it was hard for me to stay though because this was my own fault. If I had acted and escaped quicker, she wouldn’t be hurting. It killed me to watch her be in pain because I was a reason she had any.

I couldn’t protect her, I had broken that promise. She needed someone better than me to be with. She should not still love me and I planned to tell her that when I think she can handle it.

Neither of us has said I love you to the other. Maybe she’s mad at me, I honestly hope she is, everything would be easier that way.

I still love her but I have no right to. I had lost that privilege.

Rainah got overwhelmed and frightened a lot easier now. She panicked at the sound of her door being opened. She would start shaking if a lot of people came into the room. She hesitated to let anyone hold her hand but she allowed no other physical contact with anyone.

She didn’t cry though, much to my surprise. I had expected constant tears. It scared me that she hasn’t cried since she’s woken up.

At the same time, she hadn’t laughed. She’d smile sometimes.

The nurses had been giving her a strong sedative at night to help prevent her night terrors.

No one seemed to know how to act around either of us. We had both changed.

It was her fifth day, she was reading a book and I was watching the news on the TV in her room.

There was a gentle knocking on the door and my mother poked her head in.

She had excitement in her eyes which I had not seen for awhile.

“I got this in the mail today.” She came in and handed Rainah an envelope. Its return address was from Berklee. I noticed it had already been opened.

Rainah carefully took out the letter and read it over. “I got accepted?”

“Yes, with a scholarship.”

I knew she’d get in based on her audition and application. This was great news. She could have a new start doing something she loves.

“Really? Is this a joke?” she asked.

“You had a kick ass audition,” I reminded her. “I told you they’d accept you.”

She was silent for a minute in thought. “I’m not the same girl they saw at auditions. What if I’m too different and music isn’t the same?”

I resisted the urge to leave and pound my head into a wall. The only reason she was different was because I couldn’t help her. Now, that is holding her back.

“I’m sure they can be understanding.” My mother tried to reassure her.

“I’m giving you a music assignment.” I told her. I was determined to see music had not changed.