Chapter 28

long upload deserves feedback and votes, right? ;P

MONDAY

The weekend passed quickly, I hadn’t told the girls that we were moving yet. I was going to yesterday but I was up to my ears with homework. I was going to talk to them this afternoon.

During lunch I told Dani about the date and the conversation with my mom.

“Hey, at least when your mom signs over custody then you’ll be done with her.” Dani said, trying to be optimistic.

“That is if she signs it over.” I muttered as we walked to class.

Dani hugged me as we got to the music room.

“Try to think more positively.” She said before she walked away.

I smiled, watching her retreating figure. She meant well but she had no idea how difficult this will be.

I walked in and took my seat. I noticed Will shuffling through some papers in his office.

“Hey, Rainah.” Natalie smiled and sat next to me.

“Hey, how are you?” I asked.

“Tired, I stayed up almost all night studying for a chemistry test.” She replied.

“That sucks.” Was my brilliant response.

The bell rung and Will walked out to the front, sitting on a stool.

“I think we can all agree that the last assignment was difficult, it showed in everyone’s performances.” He started. There were sounds of agreement throughout the room. “I want you all to eventually be able to handle songs you don’t know or aren’t comfortable with. But we’re going to take a short break from that. The girls will all sing together, the guys will be doing the same.”

“When are we performing?” a girl named Stacy asked.

“Friday. As a group, you will pick a song, divide up parts, maybe a few solos and as extra credit, add choreography.”

A few were excited about this project but there were also a couple of groans, including myself.

I was not looking forward to being judged by all the girls or all the drama that was bound to occur. I knew this was definitely going to be interesting.

A few dumb questions later, Will and the guys went out into the hallway while the girls stayed in the music room.

“Well, Rainah, are you sure you don’t belong in the hallway? You sure dress like a guy.” Liz called the second after the guys shut the door.

I looked down at the ground, making my hair fall in front of my face but I didn’t say anything.

“Back off, Liz.” Natalie said to her, weakly defending me.

“Why-?” Liz was cut off.

“Alright, Liz leave Rainah alone. What has she ever done to you? We don’t need your shit if we want to do well.” A girl named Michelle said.

I looked at her in surprise. She was in a few of my classes and she sat next to me but never talked to me. She had orange hair in a long braid and blue eyes. She had a slight southern accent.

“Rainah’s probably the best out of all of us so we need her.” Michelle added, smiling at me. There were murmurs of agreement around the room.

“Whatever.” Liz huffed, glaring at me.

We all moved our chairs into a circle in the front of the room. I sat between Michelle and Natalie.

I watched silently as people argued about song choice for almost the entire class period. They eventually picked Stronger by Kelly Clarkson. I loved that song, in just hoped that they won’t make me hate it.