Chapter 2

“Rain!” I heard Sky shout. “Rain, please wake up!”

            My eyes snapped open. I was still on the ground in the kitchen. I remembered what had just happened. I grabbed Sky and pushed her behind me. My senses were on high alert as I scanned for my father.

            “He left, Rain.” Sky whispered gently. “Mom is in her room and Lily should be getting home soon.”

            I relaxed. Sky knew me well.

            She touched my cheek and I hissed in pain. I suddenly felt pain in my right eye and my left cheek. I knew it would be black and blue by morning unless I iced it. Even then I’d have to wear a lot of concealer tomorrow.

            I grabbed an ice pack and put it to my face. Sky was in the kitchen doing homework. I assumed Mom would be in her room all day, we wouldn’t see her until tomorrow.      

            Just then, Lily burst through the door. “Rain! Look what I made for-“ she froze when she saw my face that I was still icing. Her eyes welled with tears.

            I rushed to her; I couldn’t stand to see her cry. “It’s okay, Lily. I’m alright.” I soothed as I hugged her tightly. “What did you make in school?” I asked, trying to distract her.

            She sniffled but launched into her story about how she learned to make paper cranes.

            Once Lily and Sky went to bed, I went up to my room and looked in the mirror. There was a handprint on my cheek and I had a black eye, could be worse I guess.

            I then realized that I still had Mr. Haynes sweatshirt on, I smiled a bit at that. I wonder if he actually texted me.

            I grabbed my phone and saw a text from a guy named Will.

Call me wen u get this plz-mr Haynes

I don’t know why I decided to call him, but I did. It was 11:16. I heard it ring twice before someone answered.

“Hello?” he answered. I was momentarily stunned by his amazing voice.

“Mr. Haynes?”

He chuckled. “Don’t sound so nervous, Rainah. And you can call me Will outside of school.”

“Okay then, Will, you wanted me to call?” it felt weird to call him Will.

“Yeah, but I decided it can wait til tomorrow during your double period.”

“Alright, goodnight Will.” I said, feeling tired.

“Goodnight, Rainah.” He said softly. “Don’t forget to bring a swim suit tomorrow.”

“Okay.” I said evenly. I hung up. Shit! Swimming! I grabbed my suit and put it next to my bed for tomorrow morning. I then fell asleep.

***DREAM***

I was 14, Dad was home, drunk, and that’s when he was at his worst. I was mad because he hit Mom again, sure it was a regular thing, but I was sick of it.

He raised his fist to her and I heard her begging him to stop. I didn’t think, I wish I had. I jumped on him and he fell. I remember the pain of the slap before he stood up and grabbed a knife. I heard my mother scream and my sisters’ cries.