Chapter 53

On Monday, Bethany let me skip school. She knew I wouldn’t be able to focus on anything.

“I need to go to the cemetery and see Ash.” I told her in the morning. “By myself.”

She pursed her lips and stared at me for a minute. She had bags under her eyes like I did. Neither she or I had slept much since Will has been gone.

“Just the cemetery? No where else?” she asked.

“I promise.” I lied smoothly.

I wasn’t proud of myself for lying. Hell, I felt horrible but it had to be done.

I had planned this out last night. I needed to go to the house and check everything out. Maybe my father left something there that could be helpful. I doubted he would be there, it would be too obvious for him but I knew no one would let me go there alone any way.

If I found anything, I would go where ever I thought Will was and I would offer myself in exchange for Will to be released. He needed to be safe, he could find a way to move on if I died. I would endure the pain I went through because it would mean Will would be free.

“Alright, take your phone.” She relented, tossing me my truck keys and my jacket.

“Thank you.” I smiled and quickly left before she caught my lie.

I got into the car and drove to my old home. I wasn’t sure what I would find there or if I would find anything but it was worth a try.

When I walked into the house, I was instantly more tense and guarded. Even though his car wasn’t here, my body was still prepared for a attack. It was a reflex of being in this house, I guess.

I walked into the kitchen and a vile smell slammed into me, making me cough. It was the stench of rotting food mixed with vomit. Beer bottles were scattered on the counters and a few were spilled or broken on the floor. Pizza boxes and Chinese take out containers were laying around. Some had food in them that could’ve easily been two or three weeks old.

It disgusted me but I had expected it. Dad never cleaned up after himself, that was my job. Since I wasn’t here, it was a disaster.

I moved on to the living room. There were a lot less boxes and bottles. On the table, papers were scattered. I went over and picked up a few, scanning through them.

There were a lot of unpaid bills but a few things caught my attention.

A scrap piece of paper had my mother’s “new” phone number and address on it. I wondered if she could help me at all, even explaining her text message could help me.

Another paper had Paul’s number and address on it.

Paul was a man I only knew a little bit about. I know he’s one of my dad’s friends who was at the school with him. He sells weapons of any kind- guns, knives, whatever you could think of. I heard some of there conversations on the phone when my dad is home.

I would try my mother before I went to Paul. He was a last resort.

I decided to go upstairs to check things out before I left. I found nothing of interest expect a note on my bed.

In blue ink, my father had left me a message.

When the time comes, I’ll find you. Don’t worry, you will get your turn.

I shuddered slightly. He knew I would come here. He knew I would be trying to find him.

I crumpled up the paper in frustration. I didn’t have time to wait. Will could be hurt or worse.