Chapter Twenty-Two

Sorry its a bit late guys! Ive been back at school and I am sooo busy. Hope you like the chapter. Hopefully the next one wont be so delayed! Also thankyou for all of your lovely comments- I absolutely love reading them:) Anyways, Enjoy! x

30 likes for chapter 23  <3

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --

I got home from work after a photoshoot. Honestly, it wasn't a great day- mostly because my mind was focused on other things. Beau, Luke and Christi were on the couch watching Nickelodeon- Luke's arm around Christi's shoulders. I dumped my bag on the table and flopped on top of Beau. He groaned and ruffled my hair. I saw Christi's eyes roll out of the corner of my eyes. She pushed up from Luke's leg to help her stand up, over exaggerating her pregnancy. She walked out into the kitchen and came back with a glass of water, sitting down again. "How many weeks are you Christi?" I asked politely.

Christi glard at me. " Three and a half months. I told you already." she scolded. Luke looked at her, frowning. I continued. "I dont know that much about pregnancy but you look pretty small for three and a half months. I really think you should go for an ultrasound."

"It's none of your buisness Ruby. I'll go whenever I want." she said sourly. Beau put his arm around my waist and sqeezed me. Luke looked at Christi. "Chris, I agree with Ruby. If the baby isn't growing properly then we have to get help."

"Fine. I'll go get a bloody scan if that makes everyone stop complaining." Cristi complained. Those hormones sure weren't making her mood any better.

It was the morning of Christi's first scan and everyone was in a frazzle. Gina was stressing because she couldn't make it to the scam because of work commitments, so I decided to go instead and bring Jai with me so that I had a witness if Christi tried to murder me. Jai was pretty calm, just being himself. It was Luke who worried me. He looked as hough he had just seen a ghost. He was so nervous! Luke had dressed up really nicely and was sitting in the loungeoom tapping the remote against the couch repeatedly. I walked into the room and placed my hand over the remote. "It's going to be fine." I assured Luke, sitting next to him. He sighed heavily. "Luke you are going to see your child for the first time today! Its amazing- aren't you a little excited?" I said putting my hand on his shoulder.

"Rubes I'm not amazed. I don't wanna be a dad to Christi's baby." he said deeply. I can tell he regretted admitting that. "Theres nothing you can really do to avoid that." I said trying to make eye contact, but Luke was just staring into space. "I wanted it to be with you. Im sorry."

"Luke what are you on about?"

"Dont worry. I cant turn back time hey?" he said trying to put on a brave face. I agreed by shaking my head. What did he mean he wanted 'it' to be with me?

"Ready?" said Jai, leaning against the doorframe.

"Yep!" I said trying to sound enthusiastic for Luke.

"Nope" Luke said still staring at the wall. Jai looked at me and shrugged.

"Come on!" I said to Luke as I pulled him off the couch. I pulled him into a hug once he was standing.

"Breathe." I said looking at him. "You're going to be okay." he smiled and hugged me back. Gina came into the room as we were about to leave. She looked really upset, as if she had been crying. Gina grabbed Luke in the shoulders and gave him a talk really quietly so none of us could hear. Luke was nodding and eventually hugged him mum tightly like he never wanted to let her go. Gina left for work and Jai Luke and I went to meet Christi at the hospital.

We had sat in the waiting room for almost half an hour. Christi was trying to grab Luke's attention by playing with his hand and fingers, Luke was still staring at the wall. It was horrible to watch. I got up from my seat and knelt down in front of him. "Hey Luke." I said breaking him out of his trance. "Me and Jai are going to get a drink from the vending machine, want one?" I asked trying to keep his attention. Just as I asked, a nurse caalled us into a room. "Christi Redding and Luke Brooks" she said trying to figure out who Luke was. Christi and Luke went in first while Jai and I tagged in behind. The woman looked a bit confused as four people went into the room. Christi layed down on the bed and Luke sat on the chair closest to her. The room was dark but I could still see Luke's foot tapping nervously. Everything went so quickly from there. The nurse applied the anestetic and pressed some kind of xray thing onto her stomach. The image of a tiny baby shaped figure showed up on the screen. Luke leant forward to look closely. He turned back o me and grabbed my hand, holding it tightly. He kept his eyes fixated on the screen and smiled- I thought he was going to start crying with either happiness or realisation that this is happening. Luke finally spoke. "Is the size of the baby okay?" he asked the nurse. Christi's head shot up and looked at Luke almost like he wasnt supposed to ask that question. Jai and I looked at each other- we had both obviously seen that! "Yes the size of the baby is fine. Everything looks good! Congratulations." spoke the nurse.